San Jose Earthquakes Come from Behind to Top Toronto FC 2-1
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes scored twice in the second half to rally past visiting Toronto FC on Wednesday at Buck Shaw Stadium.
Adam Jahn and reigning Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player Chris Wondolowski each found the net as San Jose (3-2-5, 14 pts.) snapped a six-game winless streak. The result was the sixth game this season that the Earthquakes have come from behind to win or tie in the second half.
The Earthquakes fell behind early as Justin Braun found the net in the 14th minute. Irish defender Darren O'Dea sent a free kick into the mix where Doneil Henry rose and won the header. Braun positioned himself in front of a San Jose defender and volleyed home the goal from six yards out.
Jahn found an equalizer just three minutes into the second half. Dan Gargan started the play with a throw-in to Wondolowski. The Danville native flicked a pass to Jahn who stepped over the ball and then fired with his left foot to beat goalkeeper Joseph Bendik.
That goal set the stage for another dramatic comeback. Marvin Chavez teed up a corner kick in the 83rd minute, sending the ball near post to countryman Walter Martinez. The Honduran international flicked a no-look header into the keepers' box where Wondolowski redirected the ball into the net with his thigh.
San Jose dominated the stat sheet with a 17-7 advantage in shots and 59.5 percent of the possession.
After Wednesday, Wondolowski is tied for second in MLS with five goals while Jahn leads all rookies with four.
Meanwhile, the Earthquakes are unbeaten in their last five games against Toronto FC with a 3-0-2 slate during that time. Additionally, Wondolowski now has seven goals and two assists in his last six games against the Canadian side.
Also of note, Gargan made his 100th career MLS start on Wednesday. The traveled veteran defender has made stops with Colorado, Chivas USA, Toronto FC, Chicago and San Jose during his eight-year MLS career.
San Jose returns to action on Saturday, May 11 against Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field. Kickoff is 1 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet California, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 9, 2013
- Robbie Keane and Todd Dunivant Return to Training after Injury Layoff - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Head to Vancouver Aiming for Three Points against Whitecaps - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Vilchez ready for his return - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Chivas USA Midfielder Carlos Alvarez and Fines Philadelphia and - MLS
- Juan Agudelo Both "Shocked and Excited" by Trade to Revolution - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union to Host Party on the Plaza Before Game vs. LA - Philadelphia Union
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host UHSAA Boys Soccer Championships - Real Salt Lake
- Black & Gold by the Numbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Youth Update - Columbus Crew SC
- Omar Salgado Undergoes Successful Surgery - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cruz Selected to EA SPORTS FIFA 13 Ultimate Team of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Toronto FC Acquire Israeli International Ben Haim - Toronto FC
- San Jose Earthquakes Come from Behind to Top Toronto FC 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Run to Eight, Earn Draw at FC Dallas - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Remains Unbeaten at Home; Draws Portland Timbers FC, 1-1 - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Gets by Revolution 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Suffers 1-0 Loss to Seattle Sounders FC - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Downs New England 2-1 in Dramatic Fashion - Real Salt Lake
- Seattle Sounders FC Tip Sporting Kansas City Late 1-0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Expect More Than 4,000 Fans to Attend Mexico vs. Korea Republic Viewing Party on Saturday Morning
- Earthquakes to Host Match Between Underserved Youth Teams on Saturday
- Fewer Than 5,000 Tickets Remain for California Clasico at Stanford Stadium
- Weekly Update: More Than 6,000 Fans Attend World Cup Viewing Parties at Avaya Stadium Last Weekend
- Earthquakes Acquire Vitesse and Georgia National Team Captain Guram Kashia