Seattle Sounders FC Tip Sporting Kansas City Late 1-0
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - Djimi Traore scored the latest goal in franchise history as Sounders FC (2-3-3, 9 points) defeated Sporting Kansas City (5-4-2, 17 points), 1-0, Wednesday night at Sporting Park. The 94th minute winner extended Seattle's unbeaten streak to four games (2-0-2) after the club picked up seven points during a three-match road trip.
After a long-throw in the fourth minute of second half stoppage time, Traore gathered the ball inside the box after a Sporting mis-clearance and fired it into the back of the net. It marked the first career MLS goal for Traore and his second across all competitions in 2013. It's also the latest goal in franchise history, breaking Jeff Parke's 93rd minute goal against Kansas City on May 21, 2011.
Traore has scored the game-winning goal in two of Sounders FC's three wins across all competitions in 2013 after his deciding goal in the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals against Tigres UANL.
Seattle also extended its league unbeaten streak against Kansas City to seven games (6-0-1), including a 2-0-0 record at Sporting Park in MLS play. The Rave Green have bested Sporting four times with a stoppage time goal.
Michael Gspurning made three saves en route to his third shutout of the season, all during the four-match unbeaten run. The Austian came up with big save in the first minute after Jacob Peterson got into the box, then saved a Graham Zusi shot in the 25th minute and a half-volley from Chance Myers in the 43nd.
Before Traore's goal, Seattle's best chance came in the 28th minute when Mario Martinez bent a free kick around the wall that forced Sporting goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen into a diving save.
David Estrada started at forward alongside Eddie Johnson, his second start of the season and first since March 23 at San Jose.
Sounders FC backup goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann was issued a red card and sent off from the bench in the 24th minute.
Kansas City forward Kei Kamara made his 2013 MLS debut when he came on for Peterson in the 73rd minute. Kamara returned this week from a loan spell with Norwich City of the English Premier League.
Sounders FC returns to action this Saturday with their first home match in almost a month against the San Jose Earthquakes. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. PT on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 9, 2013
- Robbie Keane and Todd Dunivant Return to Training after Injury Layoff - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Head to Vancouver Aiming for Three Points against Whitecaps - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Vilchez ready for his return - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Chivas USA Midfielder Carlos Alvarez and Fines Philadelphia and - MLS
- Juan Agudelo Both "Shocked and Excited" by Trade to Revolution - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union to Host Party on the Plaza Before Game vs. LA - Philadelphia Union
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host UHSAA Boys Soccer Championships - Real Salt Lake
- Black & Gold by the Numbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Youth Update - Columbus Crew SC
- Omar Salgado Undergoes Successful Surgery - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cruz Selected to EA SPORTS FIFA 13 Ultimate Team of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Toronto FC Acquire Israeli International Ben Haim - Toronto FC
- San Jose Earthquakes Come from Behind to Top Toronto FC 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Run to Eight, Earn Draw at FC Dallas - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Remains Unbeaten at Home; Draws Portland Timbers FC, 1-1 - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Gets by Revolution 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Suffers 1-0 Loss to Seattle Sounders FC - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Downs New England 2-1 in Dramatic Fashion - Real Salt Lake
- Seattle Sounders FC Tip Sporting Kansas City Late 1-0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Announces 2018 Matchday Themes and Availability of 2018 Ticket Mini Packs, Presented by Fred Meyer
- Sounders FC Drops 3-0 Result to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium
- Four Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at FC Dallas
- Puget Sound Civic Officials Celebrate Seattle Inclusion in United Bid to Host 2026 FIFA World Cup