Saints Come Back from Six Down, But Ninth Inning Dooms Them in 11-7 Loss to RailCats
ST. PAUL, MN - The St. Paul Saints dug themselves a 6-0 hole, but came all the way back to tie the game at seven going into the ninth. Unfortunately, they gave up their fourth home run of the night and lost 11-7 to the Gary SouthShore RailCats on Sunday evening at CHS Field in front of 9,190. The loss drops the Saints to 47-32 on the season.
The Saints trailed 6-0 after the top of the fourth courtesy of a three-run homer from Alex Crosby in the second, his fifth of the season, a solo homer by John Price Jr. in the third, his third, and an RBI fielder's choice and an RBI single by Price in the fourth.
The Saints mounted the comeback in the bottom of the fourth when Michael Lang led off with a walk and he scored on a one out double by John Silviano to make it 6-1. With two outs, Chesny Young doubled home Silviano cutting their deficit to 6-2.
In the fifth the RailCats got their third home run of the game, a solo shot by Ray Jones, his first of the season and night, making it 7-2.
The Saints would respond in the bottom half when Blake Schmit led off with an infield single. Mike Aiello followed with a single to right putting runners at first and second. A double play groundout by Dan Motl sent Schmit to third. Lang doubled home Schmit making it 7-3. Brady Shoemaker cut the deficit to three with an RBI single to left.
Saints reliever Ryan Schlosser was masterful in his 3.0 shutout innings of allowing one hit while fanning four and keeping the Saints in the game.
Schlosser's pitching paid off because in the seventh Lang cut the lead to two with a solo homer to left, his eighth of the season and third with the Saints.
In the eighth the Saints completed the comeback when pinch hitter Jabari Henry ripped a one out single under the glove of second baseman Andy DeJesus. Schmit doubled Henry to third. Pinch hitter Jeremy Martinez walked to load the bases. Motl tied the game with a two-run single to center.
In the ninth, however, the RailCats put up four runs to put the game away. Price Jr. reached out and poked a one out single into center. Randy Santiesteban walked and Colin Willis singled to center knocking home Price Jr. to make it 8-7. Jones then slugged his second homer of the season, and game, with a three-run shot to right putting the game out of reach for the Saints.
The Saints welcome in the Winnipeg Goldeyes for the first of a three-game series on Monday night at CHS Field at 7:05 p.m. The Saints send RHP Eddie Medina (7-1, 2.56) to the mound against Goldeyes LHP Mitchell Lambson (10-2, 3.09). It's Ecolab night with the first 1,500 fans receiving a reusable tote bag. The game can be heard on KFAN Plus, 96.7 FM and seen on the Saints Cable Network, cable access channels in and around the Twin Cities area.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 11, 2019
- Birds Drop Game to Lincoln, Head Home Monday - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Jones' Multi-Homer Night, 4-Run 9th Just Enough in 11-7 Win over Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- 'Cats Place Walraven on the Disabled List, Activate Lugo - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Come Back from Six Down, But Ninth Inning Dooms Them in 11-7 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Sioux City Storms Back to Take Series Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Dogs Sweep Canaries, Win Seventh Straight at Home - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Early Lead Slips Away as X's Snag Finale - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Ride Ten-Run Fourth Inning to Win Series - Chicago Dogs
- Manoah Dominant, Defense Falters Late in 2-1 Loss - Texas AirHogs
- Clutch Hitting Ensures Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Complete Sweep in Pitchers Duel - Kansas City T-Bones
- Milkmen Earn Split in Win over Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Add Power Hitting Outfielder Jabari Henry - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Seventh Heaven as Saints Win Streak Continues in 8-5 Victory over Goldeyes
- Saints Reel off Sixth Straight Victory with 17-5 Thumping of Goldeyes
- An Historic Sweep of the Saltdogs with 3-0 Shutout
- Saints Continue to Roll with 6-1 Victory over Saltdogs
- Saints Build Early Lead and Hang on Late for 7-4 Victory over Saltdogs