Royals Sign Swiss Forward Keanu Derungs
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals are pleased to announce the signing of 2002-born Swiss forward Keanu Derungs to a Western Hockey League Standard Player Agreement.
A product of Ilanz, Switzerland, Derungs was selected by the Royals with the 28th overall pick in the 2019 Canadian Hockey League (CHL) Import Draft in June.
The 5-11, 168 lb winger spent the majority of last season in the U-20 Elit League, Switzerland's top junior league, with the EHC Kloten Under-20 team. In 34 contests with the club, Derungs recorded 14 points (5g-9a) and 57 penalty minutes. He also played for EHC Kloten's Under-17 team of the U-17 Elit League and registered 23 points (14g-9a) and 18 minutes in penalties in just 11 games.
"Keanu is a smart, skilled young player with good puck skills and the ability to finish," Royals' President and General Manager Cameron Hope said. "He has played well while representing Switzerland in international tournaments, and he should adapt well to our league."
Throughout multiple international tournaments this past season, Derungs suited up in 16 games for Switzerland's Under-17 team and collected three goals and six assists.
During the 2017-18 season, a 15-year-old Derungs split time between the EHC Kloten U-20 team and the EHC Kloten U-17's. He would go on to finish second in team scoring with the U-17's as he collected 42 points (21g-21a) and a team-high 21 goals. Derungs also scored a goal in 10 games with the U-20 team.
Season Ticket packages are on sale now - reserve your seat for all 34 home games. Benefits include access to our flexible "Never Wasted Ticket" exchange policy, first opportunity on giveaway items, choice of best seats and much more. Call our ticket office at 250-220-7889 or send an email to [email protected] for more info or to set up an appointment to view availability.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Pre-Season Recap: Regina Pats (3) vs Moose Jaw Warriors (1) - Regina Pats
- Barteaux Appointed as Rebels Captain for 2019-20 Season - Red Deer Rebels
- 2019 Training Camp Blog, Day 3 - Saskatoon Blades
- Son of Former Rebels Star Defender Lance Ward Hoping to Make His Own Mark with the Club - Red Deer Rebels
- Silvertips Sign U.S. Born Prospect and Goaltender Braden Holt to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Everett Silvertips
- Kick-Off Hockey Season with the Winnipeg ICE and the RINK Training Centre at Hockey Fest 2019 on Sunday, September 1 - Winnipeg Ice
- Chiefs Sign Minnesota Product Brandon Reller - Spokane Chiefs
- Training Camp Roster Review: Forwards - Saskatoon Blades
- Five Americans to Attend NHL Training Camps - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Host 2019 Intra-Squad Game on Thursday - Victoria Royals
- Broncos Announce Beer Partnership with Great Western Brewing Company - Swift Current Broncos
- Royals Sign Swiss Forward Keanu Derungs - Victoria Royals
- Tigers Hire Matt Wong as Goalie Coach - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Sign Five - Regina Pats
- Winnipeg ICE Launch ICE Kids Club Presented by Boston Pizza - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.