Royals' Season Ends in Game 4 of North Division Semifinals to Monarchs, 3-0
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals' season ended in a 3-0 loss to the Manchester Monarchs in Game Four of the Kelly Cup North Division Semifinals Wednesday at Santander Arena. John Muse rejected 30 shots for a playoff total of 189 saves and a .945 save percentage. Charles Williams earned the shutout for Manchester, blocking 31 attempts. Williams stopped 149 of 156 shots faced in the series.
Matt Willows led the Royals with 74 points (32g, 42a) during the regular season. Frank Hora ended the campaign with a +23 regular season rating, third among all rookies. Nolan Zajac and Willows appeared in 72 regular season games and all four playoff contests. Chris McCarthy topped the Royals with six points (2g, 4a) during the postseason.
The Monarchs tallied midway through the second period and held a 1-0 lead entering the third. Zac Lynch and Sam Kurker each added empty-net goals in the final minute.
Manchester broke the silence 7:50 into the middle frame. A scrum in front of Muse sent a loose puck to the right post and Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman connected on the bounce for a 1-0 lead.
Reading struck 23 shots on Williams in the final two periods. The Royals power play failed to score on seven chances and killed off both Monarchs opportunities.
Lynch potted an empty-net goal with 47.7 seconds remaining in regulation time. Forty seconds later, Kurker found the open cage to add the final tally for the Monarchs.
Miniplans available for 2018-19!
Call 610-898-7825 to learn more about 9, 12 and 18 game mini-plans for the 2018-19 season!
2018-19 season tickets now available
Top full-season benefits include: exclusive Reading Hockey Club per seat gift, discounted rate off regular ticket prices, ticket exchange, preseason meet and greet, exclusive season ticket holder events, advanced entry and a chance to win and the Royals Owner's Suite for a game. Call 610-898-7825 and visit to join the Royals family or renew season tickets for the 2018-19 season. Visit royalshockey.com/tickets/season-tickets to learn more.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 18, 2018
- Toledo Pushes Fuel to Brink of Elimination in Game 3 Victory - Indy Fuel
- Royals' Season Ends in Game 4 of North Division Semifinals to Monarchs, 3-0 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Take 3-1 Series Lead with 2-1 Win over Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Sweep Royals with 3-0 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Railers Have Backs against the Wall After Game 4 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Joel Lowry Returns to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Series Shifts to Allen Tonight for Game 3 - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - April 18 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Search for New Head Coach - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines - Game 3, Mountain Division Semifinals - Idaho Steelheads
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, Game 4, April 18 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game 4 - Adirondack (2-1) vs. Worcester (1-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads Weekly Report: April 18 - Idaho Steelheads
- North Division Semifinals Game 4 Preview: Manchester at Reading - Reading Royals
- Everblades Edge Gladiators in Game Two with 3-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Gladiators Drop Close Battle to Everblades 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals' First-Ever Education Day Game January 7 at 10:30 a.m.
- Ginder Named Royals' Business Development Manager
- Royals Extend Head Coach Kirk MacDonald's Contract
- Chris Powell Joins Royals as Dir. of Corporate Sales and Sponsorships
- Royals' MacDonald Named ECHL Equipment Manager of the Year