Round Rock Downs Oklahoma City 3-1 in Thursday's Series Opener
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (36-37) topped the Oklahoma City Dodgers (37-36) by a final score of 3-1 to open a six-game series on Thursday night at Dell Diamond. The Express broke into triple digits for home runs on the season as DH Delino DeShields launched the team's 100th before 1B Yohel Pozo hit 101.
Round Rock starter RHP Collin Wiles (3-1, 4.79) earned the night's win, throwing 5.0 innings and allowing one run on two hits and one walk while recording three strikeouts. Dodgers RHP Aaron Wilkerson (6-4, 4.62) suffered the loss after allowing two runs on three hits and three walks in his 5.0-inning start that included nine K's.
Oklahoma City jumped out in front in the second inning, scoring what would be its solo run of the contest as DH Carlos Asuaje hit a home run to right field, giving the Dodgers a 1-0 lead.
The Express tied the game at 1-1 when DeShields launched a leadoff homer in the fourth. SS Yonny Hernandez worked a walk in the next at-bat before moving to second then third on back-to-back singles from 2B Nick Solak and Pozo. Yonny Hernandez increased Round Rock's advantage to 2-0, finding home as RF Elier Hernandez grounded into a force out.
The next three innings saw no runs as the Dodgers reached base once and the Express reached three times from the fifth through the seventh frames.
Pozo added an insurance run for Round Rock in the eighth, sending a blast onto the left field berm on the first pitch he saw, tallying his 18th home run of the season.
E-Train RHP Jake Lemoine cemented the 3-1 victory in the ninth with a fly out and strikeout after allowing a one-out walk to earn his first save of the 2021 campaign and end the contest.
Round Rock and Oklahoma City meet in game two at Dell Diamond on Friday. Express RHP Drew Anderson (4-4, 3.15) is set for the start against Dodgers LHP Vidal Nuno (2-0, 7.85). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Single game tickets as well as full season and mini season membership plans are on sale now. For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A West League message board...
Triple-A West League Stories from July 30, 2021
- Two Ninth-Inning Homers Not Enough, Aces Fall 7-4 in Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Katoh Homers in Eighth to Help Chihuahuas Swat Skeeters - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Skeeters Fall to Chihuahuas 6-3 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Dodgers Post 8-3 Victory in Game Two over the Express - Round Rock Express
- Trejo's Four Hits Pace Isotopes in 10-4 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Use Early Lead to Spring past Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock RHPs Drew Anderson and Jharel Cotton Promoted to Texas - Round Rock Express
- Aces Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 30, 2021 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Fall in Slugfest - Salt Lake Bees
- What Happens in VegasÃ¢ÂÂ¦(A Rainiers Win) - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aviators' Roster Undergoes MakeoverÃÂ - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators' Offense Struggles in 4-1 Loss to Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- Jake McCarthy's historic night leads Reno to 6-5 win - Reno Aces
- Bart, Krizan go yard in series-opening defeat - Sacramento River Cats
- Motter's Two Home Runs, Six RBI Lead Isotopes in Slugfest Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Wild Pitch Sinks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Skeeters Beat El Paso on Walk-Off Wild Pitch - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Round Rock Downs Oklahoma City 3-1 in Thursday's Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Pair of Hits Not Enough in Dodgers Loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Join "Homers That Help" Campaign
- Express Pitching Staff Derails Dodgers in 10-1 Victory
- Rangers RHP Matt Bush Joins Express on Major League Rehab
- Oklahoma City Earns Walk-Off Win over Round Rock
- Express Tops Dodgers 8-5 in Saturday Night's Contest