Rolison, Tourists Flip the Script on Crawdads
HICKORY - The Asheville Tourists responded on Tuesday night after being shutout by the Hickory Crawdads with a shutout win of their own. Asheville kept Hickory off the scoreboard to notch their second shutout victory of the season; a 2-0 win at LP Frans Stadium.
Ryan Rolison threw six scoreless frames and retired the first 16 batters he faced. Rolison was aided by Grant Lavigne in the sixth inning with an unassisted double-play on the final pitch he threw. The six innings pitched is the longest a Tourists starter has gone this season. Rolison finished with seven strikeouts, no walks, and only two hits allowed.
Asheville's offense mustered a two-out rally in the third inning and singles by Cade Harris and Will Golsan. Hunter Stovall was hit by a pitch and Terrin Vavra worked a bases-loaded walk to force in the game's first run. The Tourists tacked on one more in the eighth for their final margin of victory.
Hickory made things interesting in the bottom of the eight on a pair of two-out hits. With runners at the corners and two away, Stovall made an outstanding diving stop at second base and a perfect throw to first to end the inning. The Crawdads went down in order in the ninth.
Alexander Martinez earned his second save of the season by striking out the side in the final frame. The two teams combined ten hits and have scored a total of four runs over the first two games of this series. The rubber-match is scheduled for 10:30am on Wednesday morning.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Great Eighth Gives 'Birds Eighth Straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Lose Heartbreaker in Ninth to Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Rally in Ninth for 4-3 Win at Charleston - Greenville Drive
- Pitchers Duel Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic's Four-Hit Night Jolts Power to 7-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Pitching Strong, But Crawdads Fall to Tourists 2-0 - Hickory Crawdads
- Kelenic, Power Top Claws 7-1 on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rolison, Tourists Flip the Script on Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Braves Swat Fireflies 8-1 on Tuesday Afternoon - Rome Braves
- Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 16) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 16 at Rome (Game 12) - Columbia Fireflies
- Pena's RBI Single Walks It off in 11 Innings - West Virginia Power
- Fajardo's Single Saves 'Birds in 10th - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.