Kelenic, Power Top Claws 7-1 on Tuesday
CHARLESTON, WV - Jarred Kelenic went 4-4 while Onil Pena drove in three as West Virginia topped the BlueClaws 7-1 on Tuesday night at Appalachian Power Park.
The BlueClaws (3-10) dropped their seventh straight game since a 3-3 start to the season, their longest losing streak since a seven-game skid in June of 2015. The Power, who will look for a series sweep on Wednesday, improved to 7-5 on the young season.
Clay Chandler (1-0) threw six scoreless innings for West Virginia to earn the win, allowing just two hits in victory.
West Virginia opened the scoring in the third inning on an RBI double by Onil Pena. Pena drove in the game-winning run in the bottom of the 11th inning on Monday night.
The Power added four more runs in the fourth, all with two outs. A two-run double by Cesar Izturis Jr. made it 3-0 and Pena added a two-run single of reliever Ethan Evanko for a 5-0 lead.
BlueClaws starter Jhordany Mezquita (0-2) was charged with four runs in 3.2 innings of work. He struck out five and walked one.
Lakewood got a run in the eighth inning when Alec Bohm stole second and Jonathan Guzmanscored from third on a throwing error by Power catcher Manny Pazos. That run, however, would be their lone run of the night.
Dominic Pipkin gave up two runs in relief over 3.1 innings for the BlueClaws.
Kelenic became the first BlueClaws opponent with four hits in a game this season.
The teams wrap up their series on Wednesdsay at 10:35 am. RHP Francisco Morales (0-0) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Ryne Inman (1-0).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws on the mound
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Great Eighth Gives 'Birds Eighth Straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Lose Heartbreaker in Ninth to Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Rally in Ninth for 4-3 Win at Charleston - Greenville Drive
- Pitchers Duel Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic's Four-Hit Night Jolts Power to 7-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Pitching Strong, But Crawdads Fall to Tourists 2-0 - Hickory Crawdads
- Kelenic, Power Top Claws 7-1 on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rolison, Tourists Flip the Script on Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Braves Swat Fireflies 8-1 on Tuesday Afternoon - Rome Braves
- Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 16) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 16 at Rome (Game 12) - Columbia Fireflies
- Pena's RBI Single Walks It off in 11 Innings - West Virginia Power
- Fajardo's Single Saves 'Birds in 10th - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.