Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series
ROME, GA - Fireflies starter Jose Butto bounced back in a big way on the mound on Tuesday. Columbia's right-hander didn't allow an earned run over six innings at State Mutual Stadium. It was Rome that won, though, by a final of 8-1.
Butto scattered just three hits and didn't walk anyone. The 21-year-old had allowed eight runs over his first two starts before his sparkling outing on Tuesday.
Hayden Senger made a splash at the plate against the Braves with a pair of hits. His second knocked in a run for Columbia (5-7) in the fourth to tie the score. Senger has posted back-to-back multi-hit games against Rome (5-7). On Monday, the catcher doubled and scored a run before singling twice and driving in the aforementioned run on Tuesday.
Rome exploded for seven runs in the bottom of the eighth to take a lead it wouldn't relinquish. Jose Montilla (W, 1-0) picked up the win for the home team.
Bottom 2: Carlos Paraguate doubles in the game's first run. ROM 1, COL 0
Top 4: Hayden Senger rips a single up the middle, scores Chandler Avant. COL 1, ROM 1
Bottom 8: Andrew Moritz flairs a single into center, scores Paraguate ... Greg Cullen singles in a run ... Griffin Benson plates two with a double down the right-field line ... Braulio Vasquez scores another with a single ... Benson scores from third on a wild pitch ... Paraguate's sacrifice fly scores Vasquez from third. ROM 8, COL 1
The Fireflies and Braves conclude their three-game series on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. from State Mutual Stadium.
PROBABLES: RHP Jaison Vilera (Columbia) vs. RHP Jose Olague (Rome)
FIRST PITCH: 4/17/19, 1:00 ET
TUNE IN: FirefliesLiveStream.com
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Great Eighth Gives 'Birds Eighth Straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Lose Heartbreaker in Ninth to Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Rally in Ninth for 4-3 Win at Charleston - Greenville Drive
- Pitchers Duel Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic's Four-Hit Night Jolts Power to 7-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Pitching Strong, But Crawdads Fall to Tourists 2-0 - Hickory Crawdads
- Kelenic, Power Top Claws 7-1 on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rolison, Tourists Flip the Script on Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Braves Swat Fireflies 8-1 on Tuesday Afternoon - Rome Braves
- Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 16) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 16 at Rome (Game 12) - Columbia Fireflies
- Pena's RBI Single Walks It off in 11 Innings - West Virginia Power
- Fajardo's Single Saves 'Birds in 10th - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta