Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series
ROME, GA - Fireflies starter Jose Butto bounced back in a big way on the mound on Tuesday. Columbia's right-hander didn't allow an earned run over six innings at State Mutual Stadium. It was Rome that won, though, by a final of 8-1.
Butto scattered just three hits and didn't walk anyone. The 21-year-old had allowed eight runs over his first two starts before his sparkling outing on Tuesday.
Hayden Senger made a splash at the plate against the Braves with a pair of hits. His second knocked in a run for Columbia (5-7) in the fourth to tie the score. Senger has posted back-to-back multi-hit games against Rome (5-7). On Monday, the catcher doubled and scored a run before singling twice and driving in the aforementioned run on Tuesday.
Rome exploded for seven runs in the bottom of the eighth to take a lead it wouldn't relinquish. Jose Montilla (W, 1-0) picked up the win for the home team.
Bottom 2: Carlos Paraguate doubles in the game's first run. ROM 1, COL 0
Top 4: Hayden Senger rips a single up the middle, scores Chandler Avant. COL 1, ROM 1
Bottom 8: Andrew Moritz flairs a single into center, scores Paraguate ... Greg Cullen singles in a run ... Griffin Benson plates two with a double down the right-field line ... Braulio Vasquez scores another with a single ... Benson scores from third on a wild pitch ... Paraguate's sacrifice fly scores Vasquez from third. ROM 8, COL 1
The Fireflies and Braves conclude their three-game series on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. from State Mutual Stadium.
PROBABLES: RHP Jaison Vilera (Columbia) vs. RHP Jose Olague (Rome)
FIRST PITCH: 4/17/19, 1:00 ET
TUNE IN: FirefliesLiveStream.com
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Great Eighth Gives 'Birds Eighth Straight - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Lose Heartbreaker in Ninth to Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Rally in Ninth for 4-3 Win at Charleston - Greenville Drive
- Pitchers Duel Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic's Four-Hit Night Jolts Power to 7-1 Win - West Virginia Power
- Pitching Strong, But Crawdads Fall to Tourists 2-0 - Hickory Crawdads
- Kelenic, Power Top Claws 7-1 on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rolison, Tourists Flip the Script on Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Braves Swat Fireflies 8-1 on Tuesday Afternoon - Rome Braves
- Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 16) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 16 at Rome (Game 12) - Columbia Fireflies
- Pena's RBI Single Walks It off in 11 Innings - West Virginia Power
- Fajardo's Single Saves 'Birds in 10th - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.