Rockets Waive Kindree
The Kelowna Rockets have waived overage forward Liam Kindree, president and general manager Bruce Hamilton announced today.
"It's difficult when you're limited to three overage players," said Hamilton. "In this case, Liam has been with us for four years and has been a loyal and dedicated Rocket. He worked his heart out and faced a lot of adversity, coming back from a number of injuries that were tough to get through. I feel bad that we aren't allowed to carry four players born in 2000, but we had to make a decision.
"It has been a difficult year for 20-year-old players, we're going to do everything that we can to help Liam find a spot to land."
Kindree, 21, had eight goals and eight assists in 33 games last season, before undergoing season-ending surgery in March.
The 5'10, 182 pound forward has appeared in 143 WHL regular-season games over the last four season, posting 78 points (23G, 55A) and 79 penalty minutes.
"Thank you to Bruce Hamilton and Lorne Frey for allowing me to don the Kelowna Rockets colours for four years," said Kindree. "When I was drafted on May 7th, 2015, my life was changed forever. Having the honour of saying that I was a Kelowna Rocket was, and will always be, one of the biggest honours of my life."
The North Vancouver, BC product was the Rockets fourth-round pick, 86th overall, at the 2015 WHL Draft.
Forwards Dillon Hamaliuk, David Kope, and defencemen Sean Comrie are the three players born in 2000 on the Rockets roster.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets forward Liam Kindree
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2021
- Rockets Waive Kindree - Kelowna Rockets
- Prospect Profile: Daylan Weigel - Swift Current Broncos
- Sadhra-Kang Inks with Hurricanes - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Silvertips Sign 2001-Born Defenseman Zachary Ashton to WHL Standard Player Agreement - Everett Silvertips
- Royals' Adam Evanoff Joins the AHL's Stockton Heat - Victoria Royals
- Riley Niven Signs with Warriors - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blazers Acquire Forward Peyton McKenzie from Warriors - Kamloops Blazers
- Raiders Name Leadership Group for 2021 Season - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.