Rockers Set Record in Doubleheader
High Point, NC - In the second day of a four game series with the Long Island Ducks, the High Point Rockers played a doubleheader on Mustache Appreciation Night. High Point lost the first game with a final score of 3-2, but won the next game in dominating fashion, 8-0.
The Rockers broke a team record for most runs in a single inning during the second game of the evening. They earned seven runs in the bottom of the second, breaking the previous record of six that was established on May 21st against the Ducks. Eight of the nine batters in the Rockers line-up recorded a hit during game two.
Starting pitcher Dominic DeMasi made his Rockers debut and tied the team record for strikeouts at eight total. DeMasi threw 32 strikes in five innings of play.
In a game full of offense, the High Point defense looked particularly stout as well. The trio of first baseman Viosergey Rosa, second baseman Michael Russell and shortstop Myles Schroder had a pair of double plays, including one in the first inning of game one.
Russell was the first High Point player to score after his two RBI double brought two teammates home to give the Rockers their only points of the first game. Rosa's first inning single allowed him to the first player to earn a run in the second game.
Catcher Frank Nigro was present on both sides of the field in the first game, throwing a runner out at third base and hitting an RBI single in the top of the sixth. Nigro failed to score after getting tagged out at home plate. The controversial call led to Rockers manager Jamie Keefe's ejection following an argument with the home plate umpire.
The Rockers and the Ducks will play their final game of the series Sunday, June 15th on Father's Day. The first 1,000 fans who enter the gates will receive a custom Rockers baseball, courtesy of Eane's Heating & Air. To purchase your tickets for Sunday's game, call (336)888-1000 or visit www.highpointrockers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Revs Slaughter 'Stormers for First Ever Four-Game Road Series Sweep - York Revolution
- High Point Sneaks by Long Island in Extra Innings - Long Island Ducks
- Four-Double Sixth Leads York To Sweep - Lancaster Barnstormers
- David Kubiak Throws Complete Game Gem in Patriots Sweep of Blue Crabs - Somerset Patriots
- Somerset Starter Tosses Gem to Complete Sweep - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Rockers Set Record in Doubleheader - High Point Rockers
- Nash Breaks Franchise Home Run Record as Revs Hand Barnstormers a Day Full of 'L's in Doubleheader Sweep - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.