Somerset Starter Tosses Gem to Complete Sweep
Bridgewater Township, NJ - The Blue Crabs headed into a series finale against the Somerset Patriots with their collective eyes set on avoiding a sweep. A defensive battle that swung in favor of the opposition wouldn't satisfy Southern Maryland's hopes as the affair would go down as a 3-1 Patriot victory.
David Kubiak (W, 6-1) put a terrific season on the line in a start against the Blue Crabs and came out victorious. Southern Maryland's nine hole hitter, Josh McAdams gave Somerset the lone scare of the afternoon in the top of the third inning. McAdams put a jolt into a Kubiak offering and sent it out of the ballpark, putting the good guys up by one score early.
With Michael Kelly on the mound, the right-hander with an ERA better than 2.50 as a starter this season, Southern Maryland knew coming in that at the very least their opponents' offense would be dampened. Outside of a long-ball in the bottom of the fourth from the Blue Crab killer himself, Michael Crouse, Kelly was nearly spotless as he would hand a 1-1 contest to James Dykstra (L, 1-1) after six terrific innings that included just three Somerset hits.
Somerset's defensive backstop, Yovan Gonzalez proved to be an offensive presence as well when he lofted a single to center field to score the go ahead run in the form of Justin Pacchioli off of the right arm of Dykstra in the bottom of the seventh. A wild pitch would bring home another run in the inning to put the Patriots on top 3-1 heading into the latter stages.
Southern Maryland was able to muster just two hits in the game, both from McAdams. Kubiak proved to be a forced to be reckoned with as he tossed a complete game, giving the Patriots a sweep on a 3-1 win.
The Blue Crabs will return home on June 21th for the first game of six-game homestand that will begin against the High Point Rockers with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
Be sure to vote your Blue Crabs to the 2019 Atlantic League All-Star Game, just click: www.atlanticleague.com/allstarvoting.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Revs Slaughter 'Stormers for First Ever Four-Game Road Series Sweep - York Revolution
- High Point Sneaks by Long Island in Extra Innings - Long Island Ducks
- Four-Double Sixth Leads York To Sweep - Lancaster Barnstormers
- David Kubiak Throws Complete Game Gem in Patriots Sweep of Blue Crabs - Somerset Patriots
- Somerset Starter Tosses Gem to Complete Sweep - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Rockers Set Record in Doubleheader - High Point Rockers
- Nash Breaks Franchise Home Run Record as Revs Hand Barnstormers a Day Full of 'L's in Doubleheader Sweep - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Home Run Dominant Game Swings in Favor of High Point
- Skeeters Sting Blue Crabs in Series Finale
- Blue Crabs Even Series, Shutout Skeeters
- Skeeters Take Series Opener over Blue Crabs
- Craig Stem's Contract Purchased by Bravos De Leon of Mexican Baseball League