Roanoke Falls Short in Knoxville, 6-3
KNOXVILLE, TN - Maxime Guyon scored for the fifth time in seven games and Daniel Vernace and John Gustafsson both tallied goals but Rail Yard Dawgs were defeated by the Knoxville Ice Bears, 6-3, Saturday night at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum.
Knoxville got started fast with a pair of first period goals. Dean Yakura was the first to strike as he fired a shot from the slot that went five-hole past Matt Zenzola to make it 1-0. The Ice Bears added another later in the period while working on a two-man advantage. Eliot Grauer sent a wrister from the high slot that beat a screened Zenzola to push Knoxville's lead to 2-0.
The Rail Yard Dawgs fought back in the second period. Vernace intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and streaked in on a breakaway. He uncorked a shot past Troy Davenport's glove to put the Dawgs on the board.
Roanoke later tied the game when Guyon got the puck at center and carried it over the blue line. He toe-dragged and fired a snap shot low past Davenport's glove, tying the game at one.
The Ice Bears regained their lead with two quick goals in the third. First, Austin Hervey deflected a Charlie Granath shot on the power play to put Knoxville back on top. Marcus Ortiz later extended the advantage by cashing in on a breakaway just after a Roanoke power play had expired.
Roanoke brought itself within one once more in the third on a power play of its own. Gustafsson took a pass on the right wing and stepped in on the circle. He blistered a snap shot past Davenport's blocker and the Dawgs cut the deficit down to 4-3.
The Ice Bears answered 45 seconds later however as David Brancik finished on an odd-man rush. Knoxville tacked on an empty-net goal from Alex Adams to push the score to its 6-3 final.
Roanoke fell to 21-21-4 in the loss while Knoxville improved to 25-16-6. The Rail Yard Dawgs will return to action on Thursday at home against the Macon Mayhem. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 PM at Berglund Center.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2018
- RiverKings Top Rivermen in Shootout, 4-3 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Lazorko Leads Thunderbolts to Shoot Down Marksmen - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Vander Esch Scores Overtime Winner, Mayhem Down Havoc - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke Falls Short in Knoxville, 6-3 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Flyers Go to Overtime; Lose 3-2 to Bulls - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Power Play Propels Thunderbolts to Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen at Mississippi RiverKings - Peoria Rivermen
- Mayhem Game Notes: Mayhem vs. Huntsville Havoc - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (21-20-4) at Ice Bears (24-16-6) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Bears' Brancik Scores Overtime Winner - Knoxville Ice Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.