Ice Flyers Go to Overtime; Lose 3-2 to Bulls
PENSACOLA, FL. - The Pensacola Ice Flyers lose 3-2 to the Birmingham Bulls and go 3-4 on the year with the series. The 3 remaining games will be played in Pensacola later this month. The Ice Flyers outshot the Bulls 34 to 26 in regulation, but ultimately fall in overtime. TJ Sarcona and Ken Neil scored for Pensacola. Craig Simchuk scored in the first and overtime, and Mike Davis also scored for the Bulls.
The Ice Flyers got on the board first with a TJ Sarcona goal at 6:12, assisted by Kyle Haines and David Mazurek. One minute later at 7:18, Craig Simchuk of Birmingham answered the Ice Flyers goal with a power play goal of their own following a Chapen LeBlond slashing penalty, with assists by Justin Larson and Taylor Dickin.
Both teams went back in forth in the second. Birmingham received two penalties matching the two Pensacola had in the first. The Ice Flyers outshot the Bulls 18-7 and ended the period with a Ken Neil goal with under a second to go. Assists came from Garrett Milan and Charlie Adams at 19:59.
Birmingham came on to the ice strong and fired off a few quick shots on Billet. Mike Davis put one in at 2:18 with assists by Jacob Barber and John Rey. The Bulls outshot the Ice Flyers 13 to 6 in the third as they headed into overtime.
Following the minor penalty of too many men on the ice, the Bulls score in overtime by a Craig Simchuk goal at 0:54. Assists came from John Rey and Josh Harris.
The Ice Flyers take on the Peoria Rivermen Friday, March 16 and Saturday, March 17 in back-to-back games at home in the Pensacola Bay Center. Friday is Small Dog Race Night! Register a small dog under 10 pounds to race for only $40! This includes two corner tickets to the game, as well as a treat bag. Saturday is Military Appreciation Night with a 35% discount on center ice seats. These can be purchased at the Pensacola Bay Center Box Office with proof of valid ID.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2018
- RiverKings Top Rivermen in Shootout, 4-3 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Lazorko Leads Thunderbolts to Shoot Down Marksmen - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Vander Esch Scores Overtime Winner, Mayhem Down Havoc - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke Falls Short in Knoxville, 6-3 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Flyers Go to Overtime; Lose 3-2 to Bulls - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Power Play Propels Thunderbolts to Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen at Mississippi RiverKings - Peoria Rivermen
- Mayhem Game Notes: Mayhem vs. Huntsville Havoc - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (21-20-4) at Ice Bears (24-16-6) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Bears' Brancik Scores Overtime Winner - Knoxville Ice Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.