RiverKings Top Tulsa For Tenth Straight Win
(Tulsa, OK) -- The Mississippi RiverKings won their 10th straight game in a 5-4 victory at Tulsa on Friday night. In the process, goaltender Kevin Beech won his 32nd game in the crease this season, setting a team record for goaltending victories.
The result broke Larry Sterling's 31 victories in the 2006-07 RiverKings campaign. It also kept the RiverKings five points ahead of Bossier-Shreveport in the race for the CHL Northeast Division crown.
Tulsa took a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals from Jeff Christian and Chris Kovalcik, but the RiverKings scored the next three goals for a 3-2 lead after one period of play. Former Oilers Martin Gascon and Dallas Steward helped tie the game at 2-2, followed by a goal from Derek Landmesser for the one goal lead after one period of action.
Mississippi scored the only goal of the second period, as Gascon netted his second of the night on the power play at 7:11 for a 4-2 lead after two periods of play.
In the third period, the eventual game winning goal came on the power play from David Simoes for a 5-2 lead at 8:23 of the final frame. Tulsa answered with goals from Jake Riddle and Michel Beausoleil for the final result.
The RiverKings outshot the Oilers for the night by a 37-26 margin and were 2-for-7 on the power play. Tulsa scored once in for power play chances.
The RiverKings next play the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs Saturday night in Louisiana, starting at 7:05 PM, followed by a Sunday afternoon matinee against the Jackalopes in Odessa.
Mississippi returns home to play Bossier-Shreveport in a two-game home series March 13th and 14th at 7:05 PM each night in the DeSoto Civic Center. Ticket information is available from the RiverKings front offices by phoning 662-342-1755.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2009
- Carroll, Lucas Lead 'Bugs Past Thunder - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Top Tulsa For Tenth Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Cacciola Sets Record With 3-0 Shutout Over Rays - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Groenestege, Blazers shut down Gorillas 5-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Cacciola, Brahmas Blank Rays 3-0 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Eagles Snakebit; Magers Steals Show, Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Sweep Home-and-Home from Eagles - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Rush Past Rapid City - New Mexico Scorpions
- Scorpions Top Rush 5-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop Heartbreaker to Bees, Remain One Point Back of Final Playoff Spot - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Jacked Up In Odessa 3-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Outlast Bucks for 3-1 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Thunder Clipped by Bugs - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings - Tulsa Preview - Mississippi RiverKings
- Casino Night Highlights Brahmas Weekend Hockey - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers-Mississippi Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point - CHL
- Bucks At Odessa Tonight In Possible Playoff Preview - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.