Cacciola Sets Record With 3-0 Shutout Over Rays
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, Texas (March 6)- Brahmas goaltender David Cacciola flirted with history Friday night and then made it with his second shutout of the season and his franchise record fourth in a 3-0 win over Corpus Christi. The victory was the Brahmas 15th consecutive at the NYTEX Sports Centre.
Brahmas fans running late to the game had no reason to fear on $1 Coke Night at the NYTEX Sports Centre due to slow start by both Texas and Corpus. The scoring finally occurred when only three minutes remained in the first period. Texas found themselves shorthanded following a Brandon Benedict high sticking penalty, but the league leaders in shorthanded goals did not fret as Jordan Cameron netted the Brahmas 18th goal with the one man disadvantage with 2:48 in the opener. As time wound down in the period, the Brahmas third ranked powerplay was tested and passed when Benedict took a shot in the crease beating 'Rays goaltender Kris Tebbs for a Brahmas 2-0 lead going into the intermission. Craig Minard and Justin Kinnunen, in his first game back with the Brahmas after his recall to the San Antonio Rampage (AHL), assisted on the goal.
Benedict seemed to have Tebbs' number when he scored on the first shot on the first powerplay in the middle frame. The goal was exactly a one minute differential from his first goal of the evening. The teams skated for the remainder of the period with several scoring chances, but no goals. With two seconds remaining in the second, Corpus defenseman Jozef Lsladok took a slashing penalty to start the Brahmas on the powerplay in the final period. Texas was unable to convert with the man advantage going into the third, but the game did pick up pace and physicality with 13 penalties called, seven on the Brahmas. A heralded effort between the pipes by Cacciola, stopping all 23 'Rays shots, earned him his 12th win of the season and first star recognition.
The Brahmas (38-13-5) return to the ice tomorrow night for a Southern Conference battle against the Odessa Jackalopes at 7:05 PM at the NYTEX Sports Centre. For ticket information please contact the Brahmas Box Office at (817) 336-4423.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2009
- Carroll, Lucas Lead 'Bugs Past Thunder - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Top Tulsa For Tenth Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Cacciola Sets Record With 3-0 Shutout Over Rays - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Groenestege, Blazers shut down Gorillas 5-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Cacciola, Brahmas Blank Rays 3-0 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Eagles Snakebit; Magers Steals Show, Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Sweep Home-and-Home from Eagles - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Rush Past Rapid City - New Mexico Scorpions
- Scorpions Top Rush 5-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop Heartbreaker to Bees, Remain One Point Back of Final Playoff Spot - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Jacked Up In Odessa 3-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Outlast Bucks for 3-1 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Thunder Clipped by Bugs - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings - Tulsa Preview - Mississippi RiverKings
- Casino Night Highlights Brahmas Weekend Hockey - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers-Mississippi Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point - CHL
- Bucks At Odessa Tonight In Possible Playoff Preview - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.