Scorpions Rush Past Rapid City
[RIO RANCHO, N.M.]-Behind a season high 45 saves for Kyle McNulty, the Scorpions flew past the Rush 5-1 on Saturday night. The win coupled with a Corpus Christi loss moved New Mexico to within three points of the final Southern Conference playoff spot.
Neil Trimm threaded a pass to Torren Delforte across the offensive zone. Delforte, in one motion, scored on a wrist shot that beat goaltender Miguel Beaudry. Craig Macdonald gave the Scorps a 2-0 lead as he pounced on a rebound that was sitting in the crease.
The Rush cut the lead in half early in the second period. Jamie VanderVeeken rifled a slap shot over the glove of Kyle McNulty and just under the crossbar at the 1:03 mark.
The third period was all Scorpions decked out in Lobo cherry and silver. New Mexico started the final frame with a two-man advantage and Chris Robertson scored to give his team back the two-goal lead.
Neil Trimm grabbed his third point of the game with a goal at the 3:59 mark. Ross McCain found open ice with his team shorthanded and scored on a breakaway to give New Mexico the four-goal cushion.
On Saturday the Scorpions will head to Oklahoma City for a battle with the Blazers. The game starts at 6:10 p.m. Mountain Time and can been seen on the CHL Network.
New Mexico returns home on Saturday, March 14th versus Arizona. Celebrate "Non-Profit Night." Help "Stuff the Star" and watch the Scorpions donate up to $4,000 to local charities. To get your favorite non-profit organization involved call the Scorpions office for more information.
Group tickets specials are available for as little as 10 people. Call the Scorpions' office at (505) 881-PUCK (7825) or visit www.scorpionshockey.com to find out more information about your professional hockey team. The Scorpions have been named the 2008 Rio Rancho Rotary Business of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2009
- Carroll, Lucas Lead 'Bugs Past Thunder - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Top Tulsa For Tenth Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Cacciola Sets Record With 3-0 Shutout Over Rays - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Groenestege, Blazers shut down Gorillas 5-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Cacciola, Brahmas Blank Rays 3-0 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Eagles Snakebit; Magers Steals Show, Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Sweep Home-and-Home from Eagles - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Rush Past Rapid City - New Mexico Scorpions
- Scorpions Top Rush 5-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop Heartbreaker to Bees, Remain One Point Back of Final Playoff Spot - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Jacked Up In Odessa 3-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Outlast Bucks for 3-1 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Thunder Clipped by Bugs - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings - Tulsa Preview - Mississippi RiverKings
- Casino Night Highlights Brahmas Weekend Hockey - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers-Mississippi Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point - CHL
- Bucks At Odessa Tonight In Possible Playoff Preview - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.