Cacciola, Brahmas Blank Rays 3-0
David Cacciola made 23 saves and special teams told the story Friday night as the Texas Brahmas scored a pair of power play goals and added a shorthanded tally in a 3-0 win over the Corpus Christi IceRays at the NYTEX Sports Centre. The game completed the season series between the new division rivals. Corpus Christi's loss dropped their record to 24-28-5 on the season, and kept them one point ahead of the Arizona Sundogs for the final playoff spot in the Southern Conference, pending Arizona's result Friday night. The IceRays retain a game in hand over Arizona. The IceRays will now continue their five-game road trip on Sunday afternoon versus the Laredo Bucks. There are just three home games left. Make your plans to see the IceRays before time runs out. For more information on the IceRays, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
The Brahmas got two late goals in the opening period to a take a lead into the intermission. The Brahmas broke the scoreless tie on a shorthanded three-on-one started and finished by Jordan Cameron at 17:12. Then on a power play minutes later, Brandon Benedict redirected a shot at the top of the crease past Kris Tebbs at 19:23 to make it 2-0 Brahmas. Texas outshot Corpus Christi 8-2 in the opening period.
The Brahmas extended their lead in the opening minute of the second period on another power play tally. Benedict collected a loose puck in the slot after a shot hit traffic and wristed it into the net 45 seconds into the frame for his second goal of the night. The goal stood as the only of the period, with Corpus Christi outshooting Texas 12-7 in the stanza.
Neither team scored in the third and the Brahmas held on for the win.
Kris Tebbs (20-19-4) took the loss making 18 saves on 21 shots. Cacciola (12-6-1) earned the win making 23 saves on 23 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-6 and the Brahmas went 2-11 on the man advantage. The IceRays outshot the Brahmas 23-21. On Sunday the IceRays end their week, continuing their five-game road trip in Laredo against the Bucks. For more information, please call the Rays at 361.814.PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2009
- Carroll, Lucas Lead 'Bugs Past Thunder - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Top Tulsa For Tenth Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Cacciola Sets Record With 3-0 Shutout Over Rays - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Groenestege, Blazers shut down Gorillas 5-1 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Cacciola, Brahmas Blank Rays 3-0 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Eagles Snakebit; Magers Steals Show, Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Sweep Home-and-Home from Eagles - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Rush Past Rapid City - New Mexico Scorpions
- Scorpions Top Rush 5-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Drop Heartbreaker to Bees, Remain One Point Back of Final Playoff Spot - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Jacked Up In Odessa 3-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Outlast Bucks for 3-1 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Thunder Clipped by Bugs - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings - Tulsa Preview - Mississippi RiverKings
- Casino Night Highlights Brahmas Weekend Hockey - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers-Mississippi Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point - CHL
- Bucks At Odessa Tonight In Possible Playoff Preview - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale