Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County Selects NBBJ as Master Plan Architect
CHESTER, Pa. - The Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County (RADC) in partnership with Keystone Sports and Entertainment LLC, parent company of the Philadelphia Union, and the City of Chester today announced the hiring of architecture firm NBBJ to create a master plan for the area surrounding Talen Energy Stadium and the Wharf Building.
NBBJ is a nationally-recognized architecture and urban planning firm that brings expertise in waterfront planning to the project. NBBJ, based in Boston, was hired as a part of an extensive selection process in which a number of highly qualified firms were solicited and the top candidates interviewed and vetted.
"We are especially pleased to have NBBJ on board. They have the expertise to put together a plan that will guide waterfront development for the benefit of Chester residents, businesses, employees and visitors. We know the potential of the Chester waterfront and this is our opportunity to create a comprehensive vision that takes advantage of this unique location and outlines the steps necessary to achieve it," said Thomas Shoemaker, President of the RADC Board.
Mayor Thaddeus Kirkland stated "NBBJ has a strong focus on involving the community in the planning process and making urban waterfronts vibrant resources for surrounding residents. We are excited about partnering with RADC and the Philadelphia Union in planning for the future of our waterfront."
The Selection Committee for the master plan included a diverse group of members representing Chester businesses, elected officials, local and state government and other stakeholders.
"The Union, Riverfront Alliance and City of Chester have found a great partner in NBBJ, with their vast background and progressive approach to community planning," said Tim McDermott, Philadelphia Union Chief Business Officer. "This is a new and exciting chapter for the residents of Chester, the growth of our home on the Delaware riverfront and the continued success for the city. This is a chapter that has been in the making since the stadium was built in 2010 and now has the right partners at the right time to come to fruition."
"We intend to work with the Riverfront Alliance and the City of Chester to build stronger physical, social, and economic connections between the city and its waterfront, creating the framework for a legacy project for the community and its stakeholders," said Alan Mountjoy, NBBJ Principal. "Working with the Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County - with its 23 years of leadership and progress - is itself one of the most exciting aspects of the Chester Waterfront master planning process. Our end goal is a vibrant waterfront that is welcoming to residents, supports local businesses, and enhances Chester as a unique, regional destination."
Senator Tom Killion (R-Delaware and Chester) emphasized the importance of State involvement in the planning and development of the waterfront. "Promoting economic development and revitalization in Chester has been one of my top priorities. With so many committed partners, I'm sure the redevelopment of Chester's waterfront will be a success story of the state's Act 47 program, and I'm pleased to have helped secure part of the funds required for this initiative."
Funding for the Master Plan is being provided in part by a grant from the Department of Community and Economic Development as well as support from the Philadelphia Union, M&T Charitable Foundation, the Chester Economic Development Authority and the Chester Redevelopment Authority.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 17, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County Selects NBBJ as Master Plan Architect - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Joins EMLS Ahead of 2020 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Rave Green Support on Display Throughout Seattle Ahead of Sounders FC's Playoff Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Postseason Roster Mechanism Calendar - MLS
- Nashville SC to Participate in EMLS in 2020 Season - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC's Ike Opara Named MLS Defender of the Year - MLS
- MNUFC Defender Ike Opara Named Defender of the Year - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Again Has Major League Soccer's Best-Selling Jersey - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union and Subaru of America Announce Stadium Naming Rights Partnership
- Philadelphia Union Foundation Announce Legends of Soccer Benefit
- Philadelphia Union Loan Forward Cory Burke to Austrian Club SKN St. Poelten
- Philadelphia Union Unveil 2020 Primary Kit
- Philadelphia Union Announce Kickoff Times for 2020 Regular Season