Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The No. 6 seed Portland Timbers travel for a road match against No. 3 seed Real Salt Lake in the first round of Audi 2019 MLS cup Playoffs on Saturday, Oct. 19, at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah. Beginning at 7 p.m. (Pacific), the match will feature a national television broadcast on ESPNEWS, with local radio broadcasts 750 AM The Game (English) and La GranD 1150 AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
MLS Cup Playoffs History
The Timbers return to the MLS Cup Playoffs for a third consecutive season, while also making their fifth appearance (2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019) in the playoffs since joining MLS in 2011. It marks the first time in the club's all-era history that Portland has qualified for the postseason in three consecutive seasons. Notably, in knockout round matches in the MLS postseason, the Timbers are 1-0-1, advancing past Sporting Kansas City in the 2015 MLS Cup Playoffs in penalty kicks and earning a 2-1 win against FC Dallas in a knockout round match in the 2018 postseason.
On The Road
Entering the playoffs, Portland has the best road winning percentage in MLS postseason history (.600). The Timbers have lost just three times in the 10 road MLS playoff games. Portland finished the regular season with six wins away from Providence Park - the second-most road wins in the Western Conference, and tied for third-most road wins in the league. Notably, Portland earned 14 points from their opening 12 games of the season, which were all played on the road as a result of the renovations at Providence Park. The team's point total during that span was the most by any team opening a season with a road trip of six or more games in league history.
Against Real Salt Lake
Saturday's match marks the 26th meeting all-time, including playoffs, between Portland and Real Salt Lake. The two teams last squared off in the postseason in the two-legged 2013 Western Conference Championship, with Real Salt Lake earning wins in both legs of the series. Entering Saturday, the Timbers have won four consecutive matches against Real Salt Lake, including back-to-back victories at Rio Tinto Stadium. Portland's four straight wins against Real Salt Lake is tied for the most consecutive wins against a single opponents by the club in the MLS era. Additionally, the Timbers have won more matches (5) at Rio Tinto Stadium than any other road venue in MLS, posting a record of 5-1-1 in their last seven matches in Utah.
The winner of Saturday's match will advance to the Western Conference Semifinals, squaring off against either No. 2 seed Seattle Sounders FC or No. 7 seed FC Dallas on Wednesday, Oct. 23, at 7 p.m. (Pacific), with the highest remaining seed playing host to the match.
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon. . This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. Timbers assistant coach Miles Joseph and midfielder SebastiÃ¡n Blanco joined this week's show. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 17, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County Selects NBBJ as Master Plan Architect - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Joins EMLS Ahead of 2020 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Rave Green Support on Display Throughout Seattle Ahead of Sounders FC's Playoff Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Postseason Roster Mechanism Calendar - MLS
- Nashville SC to Participate in EMLS in 2020 Season - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC's Ike Opara Named MLS Defender of the Year - MLS
- MNUFC Defender Ike Opara Named Defender of the Year - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Again Has Major League Soccer's Best-Selling Jersey - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Seattle Battle to 1-1 Draw at Centurylink Field Thursday Night
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake