Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
ATLANTA - Atlanta United will begin its MLS Cup defense Saturday when it hosts New England Revolution at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in the first round of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs. The match, presented by SunTrust and Georgia Power, is set to kick-off at 1 p.m. ET and will be nationally televised on Univision and regionally televised on FOX Sports Southeast. For all statistics and media information, please visit our Media Resources page and Game Notes.
Atlanta enters the postseason as the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference for the second consecutive year and hosts No. 7 seed New England in the first round. Atlanta finished the regular season with 58 points, which is the most by a defending champion since 2000 (non-shootout era), surpassing Real Salt Lake's 56-point tally from 2010.
This will be the seventh meeting all-time between the two sides and the first in MLS Cup Playoffs. Atlanta owns a 4-0-2 record against New England, including a 3-0-0 record at Mercedes-Benz Stadium and a pair of wins against the Revolution this season. Atlanta posted the second-best home winning percentage during the 2019 regular season at .794 and a 12-2-3 record, trailing only LAFC.
In the first meeting in 2019 at Gillette Stadium in April, Ezequiel Barco scored twice to lead Atlanta to a 2-0 victory and its first away win of the season. Atlanta won the second meeting 3-1 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Oct. 6 as Darlington Nagbe, Josef Martinez and Julian Gressel tallied goals in Atlanta's regular season finale. Martinez leads Atlanta with five goals against the Revolution.
Despite a 3-8-4 start to the season, New England went 8-3-8 after manager Bruce Arena took over and lead the club to its first playoff appearance since 2015. Arena, who will make his 50th postseason coaching appearance Saturday, is the winningest head coach in MLS Cup Playoffs history and boasts five MLS Cup titles. Midfielder Carles Gil was named MLS Newcomer of the Year and is one of only four players to reach double-digit goals and assists this season. New England is 3-6-8 on the road in 2019.
Saturday, Oct. 19 | Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA |1 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (18-12-4, 58 points) vs. New England Revolution (11-11-12, 45 points)
TV | Univision, FOX Sports Southeast
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | Star 94.1 FM
12 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
12:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 17, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County Selects NBBJ as Master Plan Architect - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Joins EMLS Ahead of 2020 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Rave Green Support on Display Throughout Seattle Ahead of Sounders FC's Playoff Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces 2019 Postseason Roster Mechanism Calendar - MLS
- Nashville SC to Participate in EMLS in 2020 Season - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC's Ike Opara Named MLS Defender of the Year - MLS
- MNUFC Defender Ike Opara Named Defender of the Year - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Again Has Major League Soccer's Best-Selling Jersey - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw to Take Place December 9
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Jeff Larentowicz
- Atlanta United Home Opener Set for Saturday, March 7 against FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Acquires Brooks Lennon from Real Salt Lake
- Atlanta United and Aberdeen FC Enter into Strategic Partnership