Rivera, Yrizarri Power Dash to 5-2 Win
WILMINGTON, Del. - Behind home runs from Laz Rivera and Yeyson Yrizarri, the Dash defeated Wilmington 5-2 on Monday at Frawley Stadium, taking a series lead in the four-game set and clinching a winning record on the nine-game road trip.
Wilmington (6-5, 37-43) started the scoring in the bottom of the third inning. After the Blue Rocks loaded the bases with three straight singles, Dash left-hander John Parke (1-1) hit Meibrys Viloria with a pitch to force in a run with one out. Parke was able to recover and limit the damage, striking out the next two batters to retire the side.
Winston-Salem (8-4, 49-33) took the lead in the top of the fourth inning on two hits and an error. After Blake Rutherford singled against Blue Rocks right-hander Ofreidy Gomez (2-7), Micker Adolfo doubled down the right-field line to put runners on second and third with one out. Later in the inning, with two outs, Yermin Mercedes hit a grounder to third base that Travis Jones fielded cleanly, but threw wildly. His throw to first base skipped past first baseman Chris DeVito and allowed both runners to score, giving the Dash a 2-1 lead.
Parke allowed six hits in five innings, but stranded eight runners on base - including five in scoring position - to earn his first career High-A win. Wilmington stranded a season-high 14 runners on base in the game.
The Dash padded their lead in the top of the sixth inning. Leading off the frame, Rivera blasted a 2-0 pitch from Gomez into the parking lot over the left-field fence for a solo home run, his second home run of the season with Winston-Salem.
An inning later, Yrizarri smacked a two-run shot down the left-field line -his fifth home run of the season and second at Frawley Stadium - to make it a 5-1 game.
The Blue Rocks got a run back in the bottom of the eighth inning. After DeVito led off with a single, he moved to second and third on a pair of wild pitches from Connor Walsh, and eventually scored on an RBI single from Rudy Martin to cut the Dash lead to 5-2.
Danny Dopico tossed a scoreless ninth inning to earn his third save of the season.
Winston-Salem finishes its series with Wilmington on Tuesday, when Dash right-hander Luis Martinez (5-4, 4.12 ERA) faces off with Blue Rocks right-hander Gerson Garabito (3-6, 4.05 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 6:20 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast and the TuneIn Radio App.
Following their nine-game road trip, the Dash will return for a five-game homestand starting on July 4th. The festivities for the Fourth of July will feature a pregame party beginning at 4:30 p.m., which includes an open Foothill Brewpen, $5 Kids Zone entry and the band Stereo Dolls performing on the patio. Winston-Salem's contest against the Down East Wood Ducks that day will begin at 6 p.m., and fireworks will follow after the game. For tickets and more information, give us a call at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 2, 2018
- Wood Ducks Claim Game Three from the Red Sox - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Blanks P-Nats 5-0 - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Win Third Straight Behind Miller's Dominance - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sox Doubled by Ducks 6-3 Monday - Salem Red Sox
- Rivera, Yrizarri Power Dash to 5-2 Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Blast Five Homers in Blowout Win of Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Offense Overpowers Blue Rocks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Six-Run First Leads Hillcats to Win - Frederick Keys
- July 2 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 2 at Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lowther Named Orioles Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Frederick Keys
- Booker Named White Sox MiLB Player of the Month - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 2 vs. Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- DJ Nabs to Conclude Pelicans Postgame Concert Series on August 2 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.