Myrtle Beach Blanks P-Nats 5-0
Myrtle Beach, SC - For just the fifth time this season, the Potomac Nationals (40-38, 3-8) failed to push a run across the plate, as the Myrtle Beach pelicans (38-44, 4-6) picked up a 5-0 shutout victory on Monday night. It was the third straight win in the series for Myrtle Beach, and Potomac has scored just two total runs in the series.
RHP Tyson Miller (W, 7-6) tossed one of his best starts of the season, as he allowed just two hits and struck out seven over 6.2 innings for the Pelicans. Miller worked four perfect frames and walked just two in the victory. The P-Nats left at least one man in scoring position in the third inning, the fifth frame, and in the seventh inning, as Miller turned it over to RHP Tyler Peyton, who got out of a bases loaded jam in the seventh frame and preserved the shutout the rest of the way.
For Potomac, RHP Joan Baez (L, 3-7) worked around a walk and a single in the first inning, and followed it up with a perfect second frame. After a leadoff fly out in the home half of the third inning, Baez saw CF D.J. Wilson reach base on a fielding error by SS Edwin Lora. Wilson stole second base, and while Baez then struck out SS Aramis Ademan, C P.J. Higgins gave the Pelicans the lead with a two-out RBI double. Monday night was the third consecutive game that the P-Nats have given up the first run of the game on a two-out RBI hit to the Pelicans.
Baez worked into the home half of the fifth inning, where he allowed three straight batters to reach base with one out. An RBI single from Ademan made it 2-0 Myrtle Beach and knocked Baez out of the game. RHP A.J. Bogucki entered for the P-Nats, and immediately made an errant pickoff attempt at first base. An error on the Potomac pitcher plated Wilson, while Higgins followed with an RBI single. Myrtle Beach led 4-0 after five frames. Baez allowed four runs, three earned, over 4.1 innings.
The Pelicans wrapped up the scoring with a run in the seventh inning off of Bogucki. RF Luis Ayala drew a leadoff walk, and after a single from Wilson put runners on the corners with no outs, Ademan grounded into a double play, which plated the run and made it 5-0 Pelicans.
With the loss, Potomac has matched its season long losing streak at four games. The P-Nats will look to avoid a series sweep on Tuesday, as LHP Ben Braymer (3-1, 1.85) is set to make the start. In his three prior starts this season for Potomac, Braymer has given up just one run over 18.0 innings. For the Pelicans, RHP Alex Lange (4-5, 3.69) will look to pull his team to a fourth straight victory. The Cubs' first round pick in the 2017 MLB Draft allowed six runs in his last start, and has picked up the loss each of his last three times out.
First pitch at TicketReturn.com Field on Tuesday is set for 7:05pm. The Potomac broadcast will get underway at 6:50pm with the P-Nats Leadoff Show. You can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com, at http://bit.ly/P-NatsBroadcast, or on the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 2, 2018
- Wood Ducks Claim Game Three from the Red Sox - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Blanks P-Nats 5-0 - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Win Third Straight Behind Miller's Dominance - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sox Doubled by Ducks 6-3 Monday - Salem Red Sox
- Rivera, Yrizarri Power Dash to 5-2 Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Blast Five Homers in Blowout Win of Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Offense Overpowers Blue Rocks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Six-Run First Leads Hillcats to Win - Frederick Keys
- July 2 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 2 at Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lowther Named Orioles Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Frederick Keys
- Booker Named White Sox MiLB Player of the Month - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 2 vs. Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- DJ Nabs to Conclude Pelicans Postgame Concert Series on August 2 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Fredericksburg Baseball Announces Corporate Partnership with Pohanka Nissan/Hyundai
- Fredericksburg Baseball Announces New Stadium Groundbreaking Event for Sunday, February 24th
- 2019 P-Nats Seasonal Job Fair at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium Thursday, February 28th
- Potomac Nationals Announce All 2019 Game Times
- Vote Now for the 2019 Loyal Hygiene Solutions P-Nats Fans' Choice Ghostbusters Bobblehead