Pelicans Win Third Straight Behind Miller's Dominance
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Tyson Miller was brilliant for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans as the they ripped off their third straight win over the Potomac Nationals on Monday night with a 5-0 victory from TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Miller (7-6) earned the win for the Pelicans (38-44, 4-8) by throwing 6.2 shutout innings, ceding just three hits while whiffing seven. The righty fell both one out and strikeout short of tying career-highs in each category.
P.J. Higgins , who went 3-for-4, broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the third off of Potomac (40-38, 3-8) starter Joan Baez (3-7) with an RBI double that plated D.J. Wilson to make it 1-0.
In the fifth inning, the Birds tacked on with three more. Aramis Ademan knocked home Luis Ayala with an RBI single before Wilson scored on an error to give Myrtle Beach a 3-0 advantage. Higgins then whacked a single to score Ademan with the infield in, putting the margin at 4-0.
Ayala scored in the seventh on a double play to give the Pelicans their 5-0 lead.
Tyler Peyton provided 2.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen for the Birds.
The Pelicans go for the sweep behind RHP Alex Lange (4-5, 3.69 ERA) in Tuesday's 7:05 p.m. game against Potomac LHP Ben Braymer (3-1, 1.85 ERA). Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.tv, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
Tuesday is the Pelicans' Independence Day Celebration with $2 Tacos and Tallboys presented by Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant, which features $2 tacos and $2 16 oz. cans from 6-8 p.m. In addition, there will be a postgame fireworks extravaganza presented by East Coast Pyrotechnics.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 2, 2018
- Wood Ducks Claim Game Three from the Red Sox - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Blanks P-Nats 5-0 - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Win Third Straight Behind Miller's Dominance - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sox Doubled by Ducks 6-3 Monday - Salem Red Sox
- Rivera, Yrizarri Power Dash to 5-2 Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Blast Five Homers in Blowout Win of Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Offense Overpowers Blue Rocks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Six-Run First Leads Hillcats to Win - Frederick Keys
- July 2 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 2 at Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lowther Named Orioles Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Frederick Keys
- Booker Named White Sox MiLB Player of the Month - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 2 vs. Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- DJ Nabs to Conclude Pelicans Postgame Concert Series on August 2 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Birds Sweep Doubleheader against Lynchburg
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 20 at Lynchburg
- Pelicans and Hillcats Washed out in Game Two of Series
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 19 at Lynchburg
- Three Homers, Pitching Lead Birds to Second-Straight Win