Booker Named White Sox MiLB Player of the Month
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Former Dash outfielder and current Birmingham Baron Joel Booker, who earned Carolina League All-Star Game MVP honors before being promoted to Double-A, has been named the White Sox Minor League Player of the Month for June.
A 22nd-round pick by Chicago out of the University of Iowa in 2016, Booker batted .391 (18-for-46) with a homer, eight doubles and seven RBIs in 12 games played with the Dash in June. Booker also scored eight runs during that span with four stolen bases and seven multi-hit efforts. Acting as the leadoff man for a majority of the first half, the 24-year-old was instrumental in helping the Dash clinch a first-half Southern Division championship with a league-best 41-29 record.
As one of five All-Stars representing the Dash at the Carolina League All-Star Game in Zebulon, N.C., Booker shined brightest among the premier players in the circuit. The outfielder went 3-for-4 with a homer and four RBIs, helping the Southern Division squad beat the Northern Division 7-6 on June 19. For his efforts, Booker earned the BUSH'S All-Star MVP award.
Following the All-Star Break, Booker was promoted to Double-A Birmingham, where he continued his hot hitting. Through nine games in June with the Barons, the former Iowa Hawkeye registered a .342 average (13-for-38) with a homer and three RBIs in nine games, including a 4-for-5 effort in his Double-A debut. Overall, Booker posted a .369 average between the two levels.
At the time of his promotion to the Barons, Booker was leading the Dash in batting average (.297), on-base percentage (.389), runs scored (39) and steals (14).
Booker joins former Dash outfielders Luis Basabe and Eloy Jimenez as the only players to earn the White Sox monthly honor while playing with Winston-Salem. Basabe won it this April with the Dash, sharing the honors with Winston-Salem alumnus Seby Zavala. Dane Dunning, who earned White Sox Pitcher of the Month accolades in April of 2017, joined the Dash shortly after winning the award.
Meanwhile, Charlotte right-hander Donn Roach earned White Sox Minor League Pitcher of the Month honors after going 5-0 with a 0.98 ERA in six appearances (five starts).
The Winston-Salem Dash are the Class-A Advanced Minor League affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. To purchase tickets and for more information, please call 336-714-2287 or visit www.wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 2, 2018
- Wood Ducks Claim Game Three from the Red Sox - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Blanks P-Nats 5-0 - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Win Third Straight Behind Miller's Dominance - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sox Doubled by Ducks 6-3 Monday - Salem Red Sox
- Rivera, Yrizarri Power Dash to 5-2 Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Blast Five Homers in Blowout Win of Keys - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Offense Overpowers Blue Rocks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Six-Run First Leads Hillcats to Win - Frederick Keys
- July 2 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 2 at Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lowther Named Orioles Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Frederick Keys
- Booker Named White Sox MiLB Player of the Month - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 2 vs. Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- DJ Nabs to Conclude Pelicans Postgame Concert Series on August 2 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash Nominated for MiLB's John H. Johnson Award
- Johnson, Vaughn Named to Premier12 Roster
- Dash's Bugno Honored as Winston Under 40 Leadership Award Recipient
- Winston-Salem to Host MiLB Innovators Summit in 2020
- Sports Business Journal Names Winston-Salem as Ninth-Best Minor League Market