River Plate and C.F. Monterrey to Play January Friendly at Q2 Stadium
December 1, 2022 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Austin FC News Release
Austin, TEXAS -River Plate of Argentina's Primera División and C.F. Monterrey of Mexico's Liga MX will play a friendly match on Tuesday, January 10 at Q2 Stadium in Austin. The match will kick off at 8 p.m. CT, and will mark the first-ever visit to Q2 Stadium by River Plate. For C.F. Monterrey - known affectionately as "Rayados" - the match marks a return to Austin following a friendly with Club América at Q2 Stadium this past March.
"This match is an exciting opportunity to welcome two historic, and internationally recognized clubs to Q2 Stadium," said Austin FC President Andy Loughnane. "River Plate and Rayados have very passionate and far-reaching fanbases and the friendly at Q2 Stadium will give fans of both clubs the chance to see them up close shortly after the conclusion of FIFA World Cup."
Oak Collective Season Ticket and Waitlist members will have access to a ticket pre-sale at 10 a.m. CT and 2 p.m. CT respectively on Friday, December 2. Tickets go on-sale to the public at 10 a.m. CT on Monday, December 5.
One of the most successful clubs in South America, Buenos Aires-based River Plate has won the Argentine Primera División title a record 37 times, Argentine national cups 14 times, and the Copa Libertadores four (4) times. Austin FC midfielder and Designated Player Sebastián Driussi began his professional career with River Plate, making 102 appearances and scoring 29 goals between 2014 and 2017.
C.F. Monterrey has won five (5) Liga MX titles, three (3) national cups, and five (5) Concacaf Champions League titles. Rayados have performed well historically at the FIFA Club World Cup, with only FC Barcelona and Real Madrid having accrued more points all-time in the competition.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 1, 2022
- Sounders FC Hosts USA vs. Netherlands FIFA World Cup Watch Party - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Academy Set to Participate in 2023 MLS NEXT Fest - Inter Miami CF
- Preview: NYCFC to Compete in MLS NEXT Fest - New York City FC
- Timbers Schedule Set for 2023 Coachella Valley Invitational in February - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy to Host 2022 FIFA World Cup Watch Party at Tom's Watch Bar - LA Galaxy
- NYCFC Announce Schedule for Preseason Matches at Second Annual Coachella Valley InvitationalÃÂ - New York City FC
- Colorado Rapids Decline the Option to Make Lucas Esteves' Loan a Permanent Transfer - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Announce 2023 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Charlotte FC to Compete in Second Annual Coachella Valley Invitational at Empire Polo Club in Indio, CA - Charlotte FC
- New York Red Bulls Set to Participate in Second Annual Coachella Valley Invitational - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Announce Full Schedule for Second Annual Coachella Valley Invitational at Empire Polo Club in Indio, CA - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Confirm 2023 Coachella Valley Invitational Preseason Matches - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Announce Schedule for Preseason Matches at Second Annual Coachella Valley Invitational - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Academy Set to Participate in MLS NEXT Fest - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Sign New York Native Curtis Ofori to Homegrown Deal - New York Red Bulls
- River Plate and C.F. Monterrey to Play January Friendly at Q2 Stadium - Austin FC
- By the Numbers Powered by CDW: Nashville SC's 2022 Season - Nashville SC
- MLS NEXT Fest Brings over 400 of North America's Top Youth Soccer Teams Together in One Location - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC Draws 1-1 with Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC, Netspend Launch First-Ever Coach of the Year Award
- Austin FC Acquires Defender Aleksandar Radovanović on Loan from KV Kortrijk
- Owen Wolff Called up to U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team
- Austin FC Defeats Violette AC But Exits Concacaf Champions League