Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named 2021 Major League Soccer Comeback Player of the Year
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution midfielder Carles Gil has been named the 2021 Major League Soccer Comeback Player of the Year after recording a league-high 18 assists and adding four goals for the Supporters' Shield-winning Revolution. Gil, who is also a finalist for the 2021 Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player award, will lead the Revolution into the Eastern Conference Semifinal Round of the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs against New York City FC on Tuesday, Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. ET (FS1, FOX Deportes, ROCK 92.9 FM, SiriusXM FC, 1260 AM Nossa Radio).
The MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award, determined by votes from media, MLS players, and club technical staffs, honors an MLS player overcame injury or adversity in order to achieve success during the 2021 regular season. has overcome injuries and adversity in order to achieve success during the 2021 regular season. Gil receives the award after being forced to sit out the majority of a shortened 2020 season with a bone spur injury near his left heel, which required surgery to debride the area around his Achilles' tendon in August 2020. Despite a recovery timeline of three-to-five months, Gil completed his rehabilitation ahead of schedule and returned to New England in time for the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Gil returned to elite form for the 2021 season and captained New England to the Supporters' Shield crown and an MLS-record 73 points. The Spain native led MLS with 18 assists - one shy of tying New England's club record - and recorded eight game-winning helpers, matching a league mark. Gil also paced the league with 130 chances created, the most in a single season since the statistic has been tracked (since 2011). The Revolution were 12-1-3 in the 16 matches in which Gil recorded a goal or an assist.
The third-year MLS midfielder, who netted four goals in 2021, adds the 2021 Comeback Player of the Year award to his MLS trophy collection. Gil took home MLS Newcomer of the Year honors and an MLS Best XI selection at the end of his debut MLS season in 2019. At the club level, Gil has claimed two Revolution Team MVP awards (2019, 2021), and his teammates have twice selected him as the Revolution Players' Player of the Year (2019, 2021).
The MLS Comeback Player of the Year award was voted on by MLS club technical staff, media and current MLS players. Below is a breakdown of the voting results:
COMEBACK PLAYER CLUB MEDIA TOTAL
Gil, Carles (NE) 19.80% 9.10% 16.70% 15.20%
Hernandez, Javier 'Chicharito' (LA) 6.30% 12.10% 19.70% 12.70%
Salloi, Daniel (SKC) 8.30% 15.20% 14.30% 12.60%
Blanco, Sebastian (POR) 8.30% 15.20% 9.40% 10.97%
Martinez, Josef (ATL) 7.30% 6.10% 14.30% 9.23%
CARLES GIL's 2021 SEASON AT A GLANCE:
Revolution Team MVP earned 2021 MLS Comeback Player of the Year honors and named as a finalist for the 2021 Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player award.
Revolution captain led MLS with 18 assists - one shy of the club record.
Logged 22 combined goals and assists - tied for ninth most in MLS - across 28 appearances.
Recorded 130 chances created, the most in a season since Opta began tracking the statistic in 2011.
Tied MLS single-season record with eight game-winning assists.
New England registered 12-1-3 record when Gil recorded a goal or an assist.
Named MLS Player of the Month for June, when he collected five assists in three starts, including back-to-back multi-assist performances.
In May, signed a multi-year contract extension with New England through the 2024 season.
MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award Recipients
Year Player Club
2000 Tony Meola Kansas City Wizards
2001 Troy Dayak San Jose Earthquakes
2002 Chris Klein Kansas City Wizards
2003 Chris Armas Chicago Fire
2004 Brian Ching San Jose Earthquakes
2005 Chris Klein Kansas City Wizards
2006 Richard Mulrooney FC Dallas
2007 Eddie Johnson Kansas City Wizards
2008 Kenny Cooper FC Dallas
2009 Zach Thornton Chivas USA
2010 Bobby Convey San Jose Earthquakes
2011 David Beckham Los Angeles Galaxy
2012 Eddie Johnson Seattle Sounders
2013 Kevin Alston New England Revolution
2014 Rodney Wallace Portland Timbers
2015 Tim Melia Sporting Kansas City
2016 Chris Pontius Philadelphia Union
2017 Clint Dempsey Seattle Sounders
2018 Gyasi Zardes Columbus Crew
2019 Jordan Morris Seattle Sounders
2020 Bradley Wright-Phillips Los Angeles FC
2021 Carles Gil New England Revolution
Pay-as-We-Play playoff ticket packages and single-game tickets for the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs are on sale now. The Revolution's Pay-as-We-Play playoff packages offer savings up to 27 percent off box office prices and include seats for the MLS Cup final, should New England advance to the championship match. Visit RevolutionSoccer.net/Tickets, call 1-877-GET-REVS, or email firstname.lastname@example.org today.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2021
- Real Salt Lake to Again Host Watch Parties Sunday for MLS Cup Playoff Match at Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Take National Stage for First-Ever Thanksgiving Day Audi MLS Cup Playoff Game - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- LAFC Signs Alan 'Savvy Panda' Vu as eMLS Athlete for 2022 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Inside the Numbers: a Closer Look at the Matchup Between Colorado and Portland - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas U-15, U-17 and U-19 Academy Teams to Participate in MLS NEXT Fest - FC Dallas
- MLS NEXT Fest Brings over 300 of North America's Top Youth Soccer Teams Together in One Location - MLS
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host USMNT for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador on January 27 - Columbus Crew SC
- The Importance of the Expansion Draft for Charlotte FC - Charlotte FC
- Allianz Field to Host USMNT Home World Cup Qualifier against Honduras - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew Assistant Coach Ezra Hendrickson Set to Join Chicago Fire FC as Head Coach - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts 'serving Those That Serve Us' Presented by Wendy's Ahead of Thanksgiving - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named 2021 Major League Soccer Comeback Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Names Ezra Hendrickson Head Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Bob Bradley Named Toronto FC Head Coach and Sporting Director - Toronto FC
- Rave Green Bow out of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs in Narrow Shootout Loss to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Advance to Western Conference Semifinal with Dramatic Penalty-Kick Win at Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- Thanksgiving Day Clash in Colorado Kicks off Conference Semifinal Action - MLS
- Sporting KC to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday at Children's Mercy Park - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Wins First Round Match of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs 3-1 over Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Matt Turner and Sebastian Lletget Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for World Cup Qualifying Matches
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Noel Buck as Homegrown Player
- New England Revolution's "Touches for C.H.A.N.G.E" Returns to Raise Funds for Boston Centers for Youth & Families
- New England Revolution Make Two Selections in 2022 MLS SuperDraft
- Gillette Stadium Will Host Both Legs of Round of 16 Series Between New England Revolution and Cavaly AS