Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host USMNT for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador on January 27
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew and the U.S. Soccer Federation announced today that the United States Men's National Team's 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador will be held at Lower.com Field in downtown Columbus on January 27 (ESPN networks, Univision networks) with kickoff time to be announced in the near future. With demand far exceeding capacity for the last three World Cup Qualifiers, U.S. Soccer will once again utilize a weighted random draw for tickets. Information on the ticket allocation process is available here.
"We are excited to once again welcome the U.S. Men's National Team back to Columbus for a crucial World Cup Qualifying match," said Columbus Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "As demonstrated this past October, Columbus has time and time again, proven the ability to create an electric atmosphere, providing the United States with a significant home-field advantage. We're grateful for the opportunity to host U.S. Soccer and again showcase the world-class facilities in Columbus."
Columbus has hosted 11 World Cup Qualifiers since 2000, with the USA posting an 8-1-2 record during that span. The Stars and Stripes hold an all-time record of 9-1-3 across all competitions when playing in Columbus, dating back to a 2002 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica (October 11, 2000). 11 of those 13 contests have been FIFA World Cup qualification matches, famously including five consecutive matches against Mexico in the Hexagonal Round, with the U.S. winning the first four by a 2-0, "Dos a Cero," score line. The match against El Salvador is set to be the second USMNT qualifying match at Lower.com Field in just three months, with the U.S. having defeated Costa Rica 2-1 earlier this year (October 13).
The contest is set to be the 26th encounter between the U.S. and El Salvador, with the Stars and Stripes boasting an all-time record of 18-1-6 in those matches, including an undefeated record of 5-0-4 in World Cup Qualifiers. The two sides most recently faced each other earlier this year in a 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier, playing to a 0-0 draw at Estadio Cuscatlan (September 21) in San Salvador, El Salvador. The U.S. last hosted El Salvador in a friendly last year, defeating Los Cuscatlecos 6-0 at DRV PNK Stadium (December 9).
Columbus has additionally welcomed the U.S. Women's National team, most recently hosting the first round of the 2018 SheBelieves Cup and an international friendly against Sweden (November 7, 2019) at Historic Crew Stadium.
Under the new qualifying format, a total of eight teams - increased from six in previous cycles - will compete in the Final Round, with the top three teams advancing to Qatar '22. The fourth-place team will participate in an Intercontinental playoff for the last spot.
Lower.com Field has a capacity for more than 20,000 supporters and includes a 220,000 square-foot canopy that will cover all supporters during the match, providing shelter from weather conditions throughout the season. The Nordecke, the stadium's supporters' section, has a 37-degree rake - the steepest in MLS - and has a capacity for 3,364 supporters, making it the second-largest supporters' section in the League.
As previously announced, the Crew will begin the 2022 MLS campaign at Lower.com Field against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. The 2022 season will mark the Crew's 27th in MLS and the first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Season Ticket Memberships are now available and fans looking to secure their spot can call 614-447-2739, visit www.columbuscrew.com/tickets/memberships or email email@example.com to get connected with a Season Ticket Member representative.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2021
- Real Salt Lake to Again Host Watch Parties Sunday for MLS Cup Playoff Match at Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Take National Stage for First-Ever Thanksgiving Day Audi MLS Cup Playoff Game - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- LAFC Signs Alan 'Savvy Panda' Vu as eMLS Athlete for 2022 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Inside the Numbers: a Closer Look at the Matchup Between Colorado and Portland - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas U-15, U-17 and U-19 Academy Teams to Participate in MLS NEXT Fest - FC Dallas
- MLS NEXT Fest Brings over 300 of North America's Top Youth Soccer Teams Together in One Location - MLS
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host USMNT for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador on January 27 - Columbus Crew SC
- The Importance of the Expansion Draft for Charlotte FC - Charlotte FC
- Allianz Field to Host USMNT Home World Cup Qualifier against Honduras - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew Assistant Coach Ezra Hendrickson Set to Join Chicago Fire FC as Head Coach - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts 'serving Those That Serve Us' Presented by Wendy's Ahead of Thanksgiving - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named 2021 Major League Soccer Comeback Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Names Ezra Hendrickson Head Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Bob Bradley Named Toronto FC Head Coach and Sporting Director - Toronto FC
- Rave Green Bow out of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs in Narrow Shootout Loss to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Advance to Western Conference Semifinal with Dramatic Penalty-Kick Win at Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- Thanksgiving Day Clash in Colorado Kicks off Conference Semifinal Action - MLS
- Sporting KC to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday at Children's Mercy Park - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Wins First Round Match of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs 3-1 over Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew Acquires Defender Milos Degenek
- Columbus Crew Signs Defender Will Sands Following Trade with New York City FC
- Columbus Crew Appoints Marc Nicholls as Technical Director
- Haslam Sports Group Names Kristin Bernert President of Business Operations for the Columbus Crew