Nashville SC Wins First Round Match of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs 3-1 over Orlando City SC
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville SC will once again play in the Audi MLs Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Semifinals after a decisive 3-1 victory over Orlando City SC at Nissan Stadium on Tuesday in front of 26,043. This win came off a brace from MLS MVP Finalist Hany Mukhtar and a stoppage-time goal from Jhonder Cádiz.
Nashville SC will now head to the City of Brotherly Love to take on Philadelphia Union on Sunday, Nov. 28 with kickoff slated for 4:30 p.m. CT in a nationally televised match on ESPN and ESPN Deportes. Nashville SC fans can also listen to the action on ESPN 94.9 (English radio) and El Jefe 96.7 (Spanish).
Powerful Playoff Performances: The Boys in Gold have now played in four postseason matches in their two years in MLS, owning a record of 3W-1L-0D. Over those four matches, Nashville SC has scored a total seven goals, with five different goal-scorers. Nashville SC has a total 20 shots on goal in the postseason and have only allowed 14 shots on target and three goals against, giving them a +4 goal differential.
The Streak Continues: Nashville SC became just the seventh team in MLS history to finish a regular season without a home loss. With tonight's 3-1 result in front of a rowdy 26,043 fans in Nissan Stadium, Nashville's home unbeaten streak extends to 19 consecutive matches. This is the longest active home unbeaten streak in the league, and it stretches over a full calendar year. Nashville SC's unbeaten streak dates back to last season with a 3-0 win in the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs against Inter Miami CF on Nov. 20, 2020.
NSC Keeps Making History: Nashville SC's playoff berth crowned the Boys in Gold as just the fourth team in the modern expansion era to clinch a playoff berth in their first two seasons as an MLS franchise (Seattle Sounders FC, LAFC, Atlanta United FC). Nashville SC saw the largest jump from year one to year two in the standings among those four modern expansion era teams as it leapt from finishing seventh in the Eastern Conference in 2020 to finishing as the third seed in the Eastern Conference in 2021.
ORL 14': Mauricio Pereyra delivers a corner kick to Daryl Dike, who gets a head on it to send it to the back of the net
NSH 21': Hany Mukhtar rockets a shot from distance to equalize after connecting with Aníbal Godoy in the midfield
NSH 74': CJ Sapong delivers a ball to Hany Mukhtar, who crosses in front of the penalty box and slots the ball home
NSH 90+4': Jhonder Cádiz takes the ball and battles off an Orlando defender to knock the ball into the back of the net
Nashville SC has earned 36 total points at home overall in the 2021 MLS season
Nashville SC owns a season record of 9W-0L-9D at home and an all-time home record of 14W-2L-14D
Nashville SC owns a season record of 4W-3L-9D when conceding first
This marks the second time Nashville SC has scored three goals in a postseason match, the first being in the 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs against Inter Miami CF
Nashville SC has scored seven goals in the postseason, with five different goal scorers
Nashville SC has scored six of its seven postseason goals at home
Hany Mukhtar has scored three goals in Nashville SC's four postseason appearances
Mukhtar's brace marks the first Nashville SC brace in the postseason
This marks Jhonder Cádiz's first postseason goal
Nashville SC 1W-0L-0D vs. Orlando City SC 0W-1L-0D
November 23, 2021 - Nissan Stadium
ORL: Daryl Dike 14'
NSH: Hany Mukhtar 21'
NSH: Hany Mukhtar 74'
NSH: Jhonder Cádiz 90+4'
ORL: Mauricio Pereyra (caution) 39'
ORL: Sebastian Méndez (caution) 65'
NSH: Jalil Anibaba (caution) 85'
NSH: Joe Willis; Daniel Lovitz, Jack Maher, Alistair Johnston, Eric Miller (Jalil Anibaba 83'), Walker Zimmerman; Dax McCarty (C) (Alex Muyl 90 +1'), Hany Mukhtar, Aníbal Godoy; Randall Leal (Brian Anunga 90+1'), CJ Sapong (Jhonder Cádiz 82')
Unused Substitutes: Abu Danladi,Taylor Washington, Luke Haakenson, Bryan Meredith, Aké Loba
ORL: Pedro Gallese; Ruan, Emmanuel Mas (Silvester van der Water 90+2'), Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos; Sebastian Mendez (Alexandre Pato 65'), Chris Mueller (Tesho Akindele 81'), Mauricio Pereyra (C), Junior Urso; Daryl Dike, Benji Michel (Nani 75')
Unused Substitutes: Rodrigo Schlegel, Uri Rosell, Andres Perea, Kyle Smith, Mason Stajduhar
Referee: Ismail Elfath
AR1: Cory Richardson
AR2: Corey Parker
4th: Guido Gonzales Jr.
VAR: Kevin Stott
AVAR: Andrew Bigelow
Weather: Clear, 40 degrees.
Statistics are unofficial.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2021
- Real Salt Lake to Again Host Watch Parties Sunday for MLS Cup Playoff Match at Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Take National Stage for First-Ever Thanksgiving Day Audi MLS Cup Playoff Game - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- LAFC Signs Alan 'Savvy Panda' Vu as eMLS Athlete for 2022 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Inside the Numbers: a Closer Look at the Matchup Between Colorado and Portland - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas U-15, U-17 and U-19 Academy Teams to Participate in MLS NEXT Fest - FC Dallas
- MLS NEXT Fest Brings over 300 of North America's Top Youth Soccer Teams Together in One Location - MLS
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host USMNT for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador on January 27 - Columbus Crew SC
- The Importance of the Expansion Draft for Charlotte FC - Charlotte FC
- Allianz Field to Host USMNT Home World Cup Qualifier against Honduras - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew Assistant Coach Ezra Hendrickson Set to Join Chicago Fire FC as Head Coach - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts 'serving Those That Serve Us' Presented by Wendy's Ahead of Thanksgiving - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named 2021 Major League Soccer Comeback Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Names Ezra Hendrickson Head Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Bob Bradley Named Toronto FC Head Coach and Sporting Director - Toronto FC
- Rave Green Bow out of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs in Narrow Shootout Loss to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Advance to Western Conference Semifinal with Dramatic Penalty-Kick Win at Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- Thanksgiving Day Clash in Colorado Kicks off Conference Semifinal Action - MLS
- Sporting KC to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday at Children's Mercy Park - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Wins First Round Match of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs 3-1 over Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule
- GM Mike Jacobs 'Encouraged' by State of Nashville SC Roster After SuperDraft
- Aníbal Godoy and Randall Leal Called in to Panama and Costa Rica National Teams for January Camps
- Nashville SC Selects Two Players in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft
- Walker Zimmerman Called in to United States Men's National Team January Camp