Allianz Field to Host USMNT Home World Cup Qualifier against Honduras
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United and U.S. Soccer announce that Allianz Field in Saint Paul has been selected as a venue for the critical World Cup Qualifier against Honduras on Wednesday, February 2, 2022.
Lower.com Field, home of the Columbus Crew, will also host USMNT for the match against El Salvador, presented by Volkswagen, on Jan. 27 (ESPN networks, Univision networks). Following the away match against Canada, the U.S. returns to face Honduras on Feb. 2 for the first World Cup Qualifier at Allianz Field. (FS1, Univision networks). Kickoff times will be confirmed in the near future.
With demand far exceeding capacity for the last three World Cup Qualifiers, U.S. Soccer will once again utilize a weighted random draw for tickets. Information on the ticket allocation process is available here.
Coaches Circle and Presidents Circle members supporting the U.S. Soccer Development Fund can receive individual customer support and advanced concierge services for their ticketing needs. Click here or contact email@example.com for more information.
With six matches remaining, the USMNT sits in second place in the Octagonal standings with 15 points and a 4-1-3 record. The top three teams in the group earn automatic qualification for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
"As we have seen throughout the qualifying process so far, great stadiums and great atmospheres provide a huge advantage to our team," USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter said. "We've had fantastic experiences in Columbus and the Twin Cities and look forward to continuing our World Cup Qualifying campaign in front of our fans."
In continuation of preparations for the January World Cup Qualifiers, the USMNT will hold a training camp from Dec. 5-18 in Carson, Calif., concluding with a friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina on Dec. 18 at Dignity Health Sports Park (8 p.m. ET; FS1, UniMás and TUDN).
TIME FOR THE TWIN CITIES
Minnesota will become the 21st different state to host a World Cup Qualifier when the USMNT takes on Honduras at Allianz Field. The team makes its second visit to the home of Minnesota United FC, after previously opening the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup with a 4-0 win against Guyana. The stadium has also been the site of two USWNT friendlies against Portugal in September 2019 and Korea Republic just last month.
RIDING THE C-BUS
The match in Columbus will be another homecoming for the USMNT and its current head coach.
The city has hosted 11 World Cup Qualifiers since 2000, with the USA posting a 8-1-2 record during that span. This past October, the USA closed the October World Cup qualifying window on a high note with a 2-1 win against Costa Rica. Playing in front of a raucous, sell-out crowd of 20,165 in its return to Columbus at the new Lower.com Field, a thunderbolt from defender Sergiño Dest and forward Tim Weah's deflected shot earned the United States three crucial points at home.
With an average age of 22 years, 61 days, the USA took the field that day not only with its youngest lineup in World Cup qualifying but also in any official competition.
Berhalter spent five seasons as the sporting director and head coach of Columbus Crew SC where he led the team to postseason appearances in four of his five years in charge. He guided Columbus to the 2015 MLS Cup Final and nearly returned the club to the league's title game two years later, falling 1-0 to eventual champions Toronto FC in the 2017 Eastern Conference Final.
WINTER TRIPLE DATE
The matches against El Salvador and Honduras are part of the 'triple date' in World Cup Qualifying during which the U.S. will play three matches in seven days.
Under the new qualifying format, a total of eight teams - increased from six in previous cycles -will compete in the Final Round, with the top three teams advancing to Qatar '22. The fourth-place team will participate in an Intercontinental playoff for the last spot.
The 10 matches in the Final Round had typically been played during the course of 18 months. Due to schedule changes related to the global pandemic and the new format, each team will play 14 matches in a seven-month period.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2021
- Real Salt Lake to Again Host Watch Parties Sunday for MLS Cup Playoff Match at Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Take National Stage for First-Ever Thanksgiving Day Audi MLS Cup Playoff Game - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- LAFC Signs Alan 'Savvy Panda' Vu as eMLS Athlete for 2022 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Inside the Numbers: a Closer Look at the Matchup Between Colorado and Portland - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas U-15, U-17 and U-19 Academy Teams to Participate in MLS NEXT Fest - FC Dallas
- MLS NEXT Fest Brings over 300 of North America's Top Youth Soccer Teams Together in One Location - MLS
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field to Host USMNT for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador on January 27 - Columbus Crew SC
- The Importance of the Expansion Draft for Charlotte FC - Charlotte FC
- Allianz Field to Host USMNT Home World Cup Qualifier against Honduras - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew Assistant Coach Ezra Hendrickson Set to Join Chicago Fire FC as Head Coach - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts 'serving Those That Serve Us' Presented by Wendy's Ahead of Thanksgiving - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named 2021 Major League Soccer Comeback Player of the Year - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Names Ezra Hendrickson Head Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Bob Bradley Named Toronto FC Head Coach and Sporting Director - Toronto FC
- Rave Green Bow out of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs in Narrow Shootout Loss to Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Advance to Western Conference Semifinal with Dramatic Penalty-Kick Win at Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- Thanksgiving Day Clash in Colorado Kicks off Conference Semifinal Action - MLS
- Sporting KC to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday at Children's Mercy Park - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Wins First Round Match of 2021 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs 3-1 over Orlando City SC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule
- Minnesota United Welcomes Back Forward Abu Danladi
- MNUFC Select Forward Tani Oluwaseyi in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft
- MNUFC Signs New Contract for Defender Brent Kallman
- Minnesota United to Host SC Paderborn 07 in International Friendly