Red Claws Re-Write Record Books in Win
Greensboro, NC - November 27, 2019 - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, shattered the franchise record for points in a game, scoring the highest point total in the NBA G League this season, dominating the Greensboro Swarm, 155-131.
Maine (6-1) was led by Boston Celtics Two-Way Player Tremont Waters. Fresh off his NBA and Celtics debut Monday night, Waters scored 33 points, including 6-11 from three-point range, the highest scoring output by a Red Claw this season.
Wayne Blackshear added 20 points in his best game of the season, while Trey Davis scored 18 points off the bench. Kaiser Gates, Yante Maten and Bryce Brown each scored 14 points, while John Bohannon added a 13 point-10 rebound double-double. Sheldon Jeter also scored 13 points in the win.
Greensboro (2-5) was led by Caleb Martin with 30 points.
Gates started the scoring with a big dunk off an offensive rebound. Waters followed that up with a three-pointer. Waters hit another deep three, and the Red Claws trailed 9-8. The Red Claws' hot shooting helped Maine extend the lead quickly to 9. Waters continued to pour it on, draining his 4th three of the quarter to make it 24-12 Maine. The Red Claws shot 14-28 from the field in the 1st quarter and held a commanding 42-24 lead after 1.
In the 2nd, the Red Claws continued the hot shooting early, with Justin Bibbs driving and scoring for a lay-up. Maten's driving dunk followed by Gates' three-pointer helped Maine extend the lead to 22. Wayne Blackshear made back-to-back threes and scored 8 straight to extend the Claws lead to 72-42. The Swarm closed the quarter on an 15-10 run, but still the Red Claws lead at halftime was an impressive 83-57. Waters had 21 points at the break, while Blackshear added 16. Maine shot 53% (25-47) from the field, and 39% (11-28) from downtown in the first half.
Maine picked up right where it left off in the second half, with Waters draining another three. Brown followed that up with a corner three to make it 95-61. Maine hit the century mark, but the Swarm went on a mini run to cut the deficit to 26. Davis stopped that with a runner to make it 107-79. Greensboro cut it to 20, but Jaysean Paige hit a three to stop the run. Davis' corner three helped Maine take a 119-93 lead after 3.
The Red Claws got the lead back to 29 in the 4th quarter, and Davis' back-to-back three-point plays made it 129-99. Waters and Davis traded threes to put Maine up 31. The Red Claws rolled past the franchise record of 148 points, and past the NBA G League season high of 152. Maine finished the game shooting 57% (50-87) from the field, 45% (22-49) from three-point range, and 18-23 from the free throw line. Greensboro shot 49% (44-90) from the floor, 29% (10-34) from downtown, and 19-22 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws next head to Windy City to take on the Bulls Friday night. Maine returns home on Sunday for a 12 p.m. matinee against Long Island.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 27, 2019
- Legends Hand Skyforce First Home Loss of the Season with 106-104 Victory - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Mathias Sinks Skyforce in Final Seconds - Texas Legends
- Greensboro Falls to Maine on Thanksgiving Eve - Greensboro Swarm
- Drive Roast the Hawks on Thanksgiving Eve - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Re-Write Record Books in Win - Maine Red Claws
- Skyhawks Pick up First Win at Home - College Park Skyhawks
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Season of Giving Campaign - College Park Skyhawks
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle & Hounds Night on Saturday, November 30 at 7 p.m. - Memphis Hustle
- Hornets Assign Caleb Martin & Jalen McDaniels to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Stockton Kings Beat Canton Charge 119-111 to Remain Undefeated at Home - Stockton Kings
- Phoenix Recalls Jerome and Lecque from NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Charge Comeback Falls Short - Canton Charge
- Stars Win Fifth-Straight with Victory at Vipers - Salt Lake City Stars
- Northern Arizona Suns Can't Stop Iowa Wolves in Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Red Claws Stories
- Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters Receive All-NBA G League Honors
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Rookie of the Year
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws on Cancellation of 2019-20 NBA G League Season
- Red Claws, TD Bank Launch "Fueling the Frontline" Today
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws