Red Claws' Rally Falls Just Short
Portland, ME "" The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, erased a 20-point deficit in the 2nd half, but fell to the Windy City Bulls 106-105.
Maine (3-8) was led by a near triple-double by two-way player P.J. Dozier, who finished with 30 points, 8 rebounds and 11 assists. Brad Wanamaker, on assignment from the Boston Celtics, finished with 23 points off the bench, while Andrew White added 17 points. Dallas Lauderdale scored 12 points on 6-6 shooting to go with 3 blocks, and Justin Bibbs scored 10 off the bench.
Windy City (5-8) was led by Rawle Alkins with a game-high 31 points and 13 rebounds.
Dallas Lauderdale opened the scoring with an alley-oop slam from Dozier. C.J. Fair dropped in a corner three to put Windy City up 6-3 in the early going. Dozier knocked in a triple to put the Red Claws up 11-8, and Lauderdale's lay-up put Maine up 5. Wanamaker made his first shot of the game, a long two, to continue the 10-0 run. The Bulls went on a run, but Justin Bibbs and Dozier got Maine back in control. Fair scored 9 points in the quarter for the Bulls, and Maine led 26-23 after 1.
The Bulls opened the 2nd on a 7-2 run, taking a 30-28 lead on a Joe Kilgore three. Windy City maintained a 4 point lead until White dropped in a trey. Fair buried a wide open three to put the Bulls up 44-36. Rawle Alkins' lay-up made it a 10 point advantage. The Bulls extended from there, with Alkins making it 55-40 with 2:00 to go. At the half, Maine trailed 59-42. Windy City out-scored Maine 36-16 in the 2nd.
In the 3rd, Bibbs scored a pair of buckets to cut the deficit to 14. Roberson dropped in a three to get it to 62-51. Dozier fed Lauderdale for the bucket, and White buried a three to make it 67-58. The Bulls righted the ship, with Alkins tough shot extending the lead back to 16. Wanamaker scored 5 straight for Maine to get it back to 11. Still, Windy City led 86-72 after 3.
Alkins opened the 4th with a tough three to extend the lead. The Red Claws again chipped away. Dozier's three-point play got it back to 10 at 89-79. Dozier got it to 9 at 93-84. Wanamaker dropped in a three to make it 93-87. Free throws got it to 4 points. Wanamaker's three got the 13-0 run to 93-92. Kaiser Gates dropped in a three to stop the run. Maine came back "" Dozier gave the Claws the lead at 103-102 with a deep three. With the game tied at 105 in the final minute, Dozier missed a go ahead shot with :06 left. Gates got to the free throw line and made one. In the final chance, Wanamaker's shot hit the front rim.
Maine shot 46.9% (38-81) from the field, 35.5% (11-31) from downtown and 18-24 from the free throw line. Windy City shot 42.5% (34-80) from the floor, 37.5% (15-40) from three-point range, and 23-39 from the charity stripe.
Maine returns to action on Sunday night against Capital City. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 29, 2018
- Vipers Get the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Raptors 905 Storms Back to Defeat Mad Ants, 136-116 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Alkins Career Night Lifts Windy City Past Maine, 106-105 - Windy City Bulls
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Just Short - Maine Red Claws
- Wisconsin Herd to Honor Service Members with Military-Themed Jersey on December 7 - Wisconsin Herd
- Brandon Goodwin Called up by Denver Nuggets - Memphis Hustle
- Detroit Pistons Assign Luke Kennard to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Timberwolves Assign Keita Bates-Diop to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Phoenix Suns Recall De'Anthony Melton from NAZ Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Greensboro Swarm, Piedmont Triad International Airport Continue Partnership for Second Season - Greensboro Swarm
- Gabriel, Williams Making Most of Opportunities - Stockton Kings
- Erie's Jones and Raptors 905's Ofoegbu Suspended - G League
- Erie's Jones and Raptors 905's Ofoegbu Suspended - Erie BayHawks
- South Bay Maps out a Win against the Legends - South Bay Lakers
- Lakers Use Big Three to Best Texas - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.