Red Bulls Kick-Off "11 Days of Service" Community Campaign and Pay Tribute to Heroes of 9/11 on Sund
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls kick off its annual "11 Days of Service" community campaign today at the Community FoodBank of New Jersey in Hillside, N.J. The Red Bulls created the "11 Days of Service" initiative to run in conjunction with September 11 - the national day of service and remembrance. Rather than just participate in just one day of service, the New York Red Bulls will participate in 11 different community activations as a tribute to the 9/11 victims, survivors and those who rose up in service in response to the attacks on September 11, 2001.
"We are extremely proud and grateful for the time and energy the club gives during our '11 Days of Service' community initiative", said Marc de Grandpre, GM, New York Red Bulls. "Each member of the organization - players, coaches and staff - volunteers their time to honor the heroes that keep us safe everyday. Giving back to those in need is the most effective way to pay tribute to the heroes and their families that inspire us on a daily basis."
Red Bulls players, staffs and fans will be giving back to the community via the different events as listed below.
The club will also honor the heroes of 9/11 at Red Bull Arena during Sunday's match against D.C. United at 1:00 p.m. The Red Bulls will be donating both warm-up shirts and game jerseys to the New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund. Members of the organization will be on the field holding a giant American Flag during the National Anthem.
The New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund is a nonprofit dedicated to helping the families of New York City Police Officers, Firefighters, Port Authority Police, and EMS Personnel who have been killed in the line of duty. Their mission is to reassure these families that they will never be forgotten and that we will always remember the sacrifice made by their loved ones. This year alone, the organization will help approximately 600 families and distribute over $4 million. To learn more about this organization, please visit answerthecall.org .
In order to help raise awareness, the Benefit Fund has started the Feathers of Remembrance Campaign. The Feathers of Remembrance will be given out by New York Red Bulls' staff on the BULLevard outside of Red Bull Arena on Sunday, September 11. The Benefit Fund has created a temporary feather tattoo, the symbol of the organization, for participants to wear on or around 9/11. The feather was chosen as their symbol because it represents goodness and hope and serves as a metaphor for our fallen heroes who continue to watch over us and keep our city safe.
In addition, the club will pay tribute to the heroes with the following game day activation elements:
Moment of Silence commemorating the 15th Anniversary of 9/11 Both teams will wear T-Shirts honoring 9/11 during pregame warmups Two First Responders from both the attacks at the Pentagon and The World Trade Center will take part in a special Ceremonial Coin Toss New York Red Bulls Supporters Groups will have a 9/11 Themed TIFO after the National Anthem of the United States of America Both Captains will wear special armbands honoring 9/11 Both Clubs will wear American Flag numbers on their jerseys for this match The New York Red Bulls will be hosting the annual Battle of the Finest - a soccer match featuring NYPD FC and US Soccer Heroes immediately following the MLS Match on Sunday . Both Battle of the Finest teams will be honored at Halftime of the MLS match
New York Red Bulls 11 Days of Service Events
September 9th - Community FoodBank of NJ
- Members of the Red Bulls front office and team will help assemble food boxes for senior citizens, assemble inserts for the FoodBank's Kids' Back Pack program and work in the Tools 4 Schools Resource Center. For more information on how to volunteer with the Community FoodBank of NJ, please visit http://www.cfbnj.org/help/
September 11th and September 24th-Kick Childhood Cancer Drive at 9/11 match
- Fans will be asked to donate some items for children and families at Ronald McDonald House and Hackensack University Medical Center. Some of the most needed items are travel first aid kits, soft foam building blocks, kid and adult coloring books, crayons and markers, etc.
September 14th- Ronald McDonald House in NY
- Members of the Red Bulls front office and team will meet the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House in New York City and serve dinner. For more information on how to volunteer with the Ronald McDonald House, please visit http://www.rmh-newyork.org/volunteer .
September 19th- Jersey Cares-Branch Brook Park
- Members of the Red Bulls front office will be removing invasive species of plants to allow native species to grow and flourish, spread a fresh layer of soil and plant new shrubs in various areas of the park. Also they will pick up any debris or litter to create a clean environment for staff and visitors of the park. To learn on how to volunteer with Jersey Cares, please visit http://www.jerseycares.org/HOC__Volunteer_Registration_Page .
September 20th -Mt. Pleasant Animal Shelter in East Hanover, NJ
- Members of the Red Bulls front office and first team will be helping the animal shelter prepare for one of its fundraisers as well as interacting with the animals housed there. For more information, on how to volunteer with the Mt. Pleasant Animal Shelter please visit, http://njshelter.org/volunteer/information-on-volunteering/
September 21st- HackensackUMC Visit
- Members of the Red Bulls First Team will visit patients at Hackensack University Medical Center. To learn how to volunteer at Hackensack University Medical Center, please visit http://www.hackensackumc.org/about-us/volunteer-services/
September 22nd- Covenant House BBQ in Newark, NJ
- Members of the Red Bulls front office and first team will serve dinner to the homeless youth that the Covenant House serves. For more information on how to volunteer with this organization, please visit https://nj.covenanthouse.org/volunteer-activities
September 26th- Partnerships for Parks in Brooklyn, NY
- Members of the New York Red Bulls front office will repaint the Remsen's Park chipping and faded playground equipment. For more information on how to be involved, please visit http://www.cityparksfoundation.org/partnerships-for-parks/
September 28th- Habitat for Humanity in Newark, NJ
- Members of the New York Red Bulls front office will be installing flooring, priming and painting, and doing trim work. For more information on how to be involved, please visit http://www.habitatnewark.org/getinvolved/
September 29th- Hospital for Special Surgery Visit in New York, NY
- Red Bulls players will visit with pediatric patients at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, NY. If you are interested in volunteering at the hospital, please visit http://www.hss.edu/volunteer-in-new-york-city.asp
September 30th - Southern New Hampshire University and After School All-Stars in Newark, NJ
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2016
- Sporting KC and Houston Draw 3-3 - Sporting Kansas City
- GAME NOTES: Sounders FC at San Jose Earthquakes - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Advise Fans to Arrive to StubHub Center Early on Sunday - LA Galaxy
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. Montreal Impact - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC Hosts the Houston Dynamo - Sporting Kansas City
- Impact Takes on Union this Saturday Night in Pennsylvania - Montreal Impact
- Spark at Toyota Park Matchday Playlist | #CHIvTOR - Chicago Fire
- Matchday Poster Series | Fire vs. Toronto FC - Chicago Fire
- Whitecaps FC to Host Charity Alumni Match on September - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Red Bulls Host D.C. United Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Signs 15th Homegrown Player Paxton Pomykal - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Joins Fight to Kick Childhood Cancer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Kick-Off "11 Days of Service" Community Campaign and Pay Tribute to Heroes of 9/11 on Sund - New York Red Bulls
- Everything to Play for as Toronto FC visits Toyota Park - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Returns to MLS Action at Providence Park Saturday in Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Join Us Saturday Afternoon for the Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Jean-Arnaud Tano Called up with Canada U17 - Montreal Impact
- Revs Aim for Back-To-Back Wins as East Leaders NYCFC - New England Revolution
- Landon Donovan Returns to the LA Galaxy - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Roll Past Inter Miami, 4-1
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Head South for Mid-Week Matchup at Inter Miami
- Red Bull Arena to Continue to Host NYCFC, Montreal Matches
- Major League Soccer Announces Remainder of 2020 Regular-Season Schedule
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0