Rapids' Semifinal Match with Portland Breaks FOX Viewership Record
The historic Thanksgiving Day Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs semifinal match between the Colorado Rapids and Portland Timbers FC was the most-watched MLS game on English-language TV since 2004, when 1,969,000 average viewers tuned in to see 14-year-old Freddy Adu's professional debut in a matchup between D.C. United and San Jose. The Rapids' battle for the Western Conference Final garnered 1,850,000 viewers and broke the record for most-watched MLS game on FOX.
Colorado was eliminated from the playoffs with the 1-0 result on Thanksgiving Day after a scoreless battle with the Timbers culminated to a 90th-minute set piece goal by Timbers' Larrys Mabiala. Despite the result, the televised holiday match audience ranked second in most-watched aside from MLS Cup Finals and All-Star matches.
The MLS playoff game between Colorado and Portland on Thanksgiving averaged 1.894 million viewers on FOX and Fox Deportes, not 7.2 million. It's the 2nd-most viewed MLS game of all time other than MLS Cup finals and All-Star Games (behind only Freddy Adu's debut in 2004).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 30, 2021
- MLS to Crown Eastern and Western Conference Champions this Weekend - MLS
- NYCFC Wins 5-4 on PKs - New York City FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2022 Contract Options on Seven Players - Houston Dynamo FC
- Eric Krakauer on Becoming the Voice of Charlotte FC - Charlotte FC
- FC Dallas Announces Roster Decisions for 2022 Season - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami to Host Art Battle Contest Presented by Heineken - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Exercises Options for 12 Players - Club de Foot Montreal
- Rapids' Semifinal Match with Portland Breaks FOX Viewership Record - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Announces Roster Moves for 2022 Season - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Second Edition of the Copa de la Familia Presented by Wendy's - Inter Miami CF
- Offseason Check-In with Chris Albright - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC Commit to Friendly in the Fraser Valley in the New Year - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Santiago Sosa Undergoes Successful Sports Hernia Surgery - Atlanta United FC
- Red Bull Arena Named 2021 Professional Soccer Field of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Alfredo Morales: We're Not Underdogs - New York City FC
- Academy U-13 and U-14 Teams Win 2021 Copa Rayados International Titles - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville SC Signs Partnership with Transcard, Including Transcard Terrace at Nashville SC Stadium - Nashville SC
- Austin FC Announce Roster Decisions Ahead of 2022 Season - Austin FC
- Whitecaps FC Name Vanni Sartini First Team Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Justin Morrow Named MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year - MLS
- Justin Morrow Named 2021 MLS Works Humanitarian of the Year - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Cole Bassett Shares Heartfelt Messages to Rapids' Fans, Coaches, Community Ahead of Feyenoord Loan
- Colorado Rapids Loan Cole Bassett to Dutch Side Feyenoord Rotterdam
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Bryan Acosta
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Jack Price to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Danny Wilson to Multi-Year Contract Extension