Rapids Make First Trip to Austin FC, Q2 Stadium on Saturday
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. â The Colorado Rapids (7-4-3, 24 points) will make their first visit to Q2 Stadium to take on 2021 expansion side Austin FC (3-7-4, 13 points) on Saturday, July 31, at 7 p.m. MT. Pregame coverage will begin on Altitude Sports at 6:30 p.m. and on Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM at 6:45 p.m.
"Austin is obviously a very good team, regardless of what their record is," Rapids head coach Robin Fraser said. "They are extremely good in possession and make it very difficult for teams down there. I think they have a number of really good players. They're very well-coached and very well-organized. We know it's going to be a big challenge for us."
This is the second meeting between these teams after the Rapids lost, 3-1, to Austin FC in the club's home opener at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on April 24. Andre Shinyashiki scored the first goal of the season for Colorado, heading in captain Jack Price's corner delivery. Austin scored three goals in the second half to earn its first win ever. The Rapids are undefeated in seven home games since.
Saturday's match will close out a six-game month of July that has seen the Rapids go 2-1-2 (W-L-D). Colorado started the month with an undefeated four-game homestand, defeating Minnesota and FC Dallas, both by 2-0 score lines, and drawing against Seattle and San Jose, both 1-1.
The Rapids made two additions to the roster this week. On Tuesday, the club announced it acquired midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye from Los Angeles FC, and on Thursday, the club announced the return of forward Dominique Badji via trade from Nashville SC. Badji is available for selection on Saturday, while Kaye is away with the Canada Men's National Team at the Concacaf Gold Cup.
"Mark-Anthony Kaye is a player that we've been looking at for quite some time," said Pádraig Smith, Rapids Executive VP & GM. "As everybody knows now, we're quite keen on trying to bring in players that we think are going to elevate the whole group. We always talk about winning as a team and we felt that he was a really good fit for this group. We look for him to come in and really add to what we've been building over the last number of years here. We targeted him for quite some time, it took a little bit longer than we wanted to get him but we're glad to have him in at this point."
Colorado will be without several key pieces on Saturday. In addition to Kaye, midfielder Kellyn Acosta, forward Jonathan Lewis and defender Sam Vines are all with the U.S. Men's National Team at the Gold Cup. The UMSNT takes on Qatar in the first semifinal on Thursday (5:30 p.m. MT, FS1, Univision, TUDN), while Canada will face Mexico in the second semifinal immediately afterwards (8 p.m., FS1, Univision, TUDN). The Gold Cup Final will be played on Sunday, Aug. 1, at 6:30 p.m. MT (FS1, Univision, TUDN).
Austin has played five games at Q2 Stadium since its first home match June 19, going 1-2-2. The Texan side has scored four goals in five home games, with all of them coming in a 4-1 win over Portland on July 1. Los Verdes enter Saturday's game having lost their previous two: a 2-0 loss against Los Angeles FC on July 7 and 1-0 defeat against Seattle on July 22, both at home.
Cecilio Domínguez and Diego Fagundez lead Austin with three goals apiece, while Jared Stroud leads the club with three assists. Goalkeeper Brad Stuver is second in MLS with 60 saves, and his .800 save percentage is the third-highest in MLS among goalkeepers with at least 10 saves. On Thursday, Austin announced it had signed midfielder Sebastián Driussi as the club's third Designated Player, though Driussi will not be available for selection on Saturday.
This will be Colorado's second consecutive road match. The Rapids are in the midst of a stretch of seven of 10 games on the road, hosting Sporting KC on Aug. 7 before visiting Houston and LA Galaxy in a span of four days.
"We approach every game with a strong mentality to come out strong, doing our job and playing our game," defender Auston Trusty said. "If we do our thing, we play our game, I don't think anyone can stop us."
News & Notes
The Since the beginning of 2020, the Rapids have posted six clean sheets on the road, which is tied with Philadelphia for the most in MLS.
Colorado is the only team in the Western Conference to post three clean sheets on the road this season.
The Rapids' next clean sheet will be their 200th all-time.
M Jack Price's next assist will be his 26th with Colorado in MLS, tying M Dillon Powers for fifth-most in club history. Price is tied for fifth in MLS this season with five assists, matching his team-leading total from 2020.
F Andre Shinyashiki's next goal will be the 14th of his MLS career, tying M Dillon Powers for fifth-most by a Rapids SuperDraft selection.
F Michael Barrios is tied for second in MLS with three game-winning assists. The 30-year-old Colombian assisted on F Diego Rubio's winners against Houston on May 15 and Cincinnati on June 19. Barrios also assisted on F Braian Galván's goal against Minnesota on July 7.
Colorado has hit the woodwork seven times this season, tied for third-most in MLS.
The Rapids will be without M Kellyn Acosta, F Jonathan Lewis and D Sam Vines, who are all with the 23-player U.S. Men's National Team at Concacaf Gold Cup, as well as M Mark-Anthony Kaye, who is with the Canada MNT at the Gold Cup. Vines is the first Rapids Academy product to be named to the USMNT for a senior international tournament. Vines scored his first USMNT goal in the 1-0 win over Haiti in Group B action. Colorado is tied with Atlanta for the most players on the USMNT Gold Cup roster.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2021
- Atlanta United Falls 3-2 to Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- Nani's 87th Minute Game-Winner Leads Lions over Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 1 Columbus Crew - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Heads South to Face Houston Dynamo FC - Real Salt Lake
- Vines, Acosta, Lewis and Rest of USMNT Are Finals Bound After Defeating Qatar - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC at Vancouver Whitecaps Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Partners with Freedom Solar to Support Energy Efficiency at Q2 Stadium - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against FC Dallas on September 18 Moved to 9 p.m. CT - Houston Dynamo FC
- Kickoff Time for FC Dallas' Road Match vs. Houston Dynamo FC on September 18 Moved to 9PM CT - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Sign Forward and Former U.S. Youth International Mckinze Gaines - Austin FC
- LA Galaxy Loan Defender Giancarlo González to Costa Rican Side Alajuelense - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Loan Rocco Romeo to Valour FC - Toronto FC
- LAFC Acquires $750,000 in Allocation Money and International Slot from Houston Dynamo in Exchange for Forward Corey Baird - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire FW Corey Baird from LAFC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Recall Erik Sorga from Loudoun United FC Loan - D.C. United
- NYCFC Teams up with NY Designer on Biggest Streetwear Apparel Collab in MLS History - New York City FC
- #SKCvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Rapids Make First Trip to Austin FC, Q2 Stadium on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Forward Nigel Robertha Suffers Grade Two Adductor Strain - D.C. United
- Charlotte FC Welcomes New Academy Coaches and Operations Staff for 2021-22 Season - Charlotte FC
- Orlando City SC Reinforces Recommendation for Fans to Wear Masks to Upcoming Matches - Orlando City SC
- Josh Penn Joins Charleston Battery on LoanÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- New York Welcomes New England Revolution to Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Defender Danny Wilson Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench
- Rapids Draw 1-1 against Seattle to Extend Home Unbeaten Streak
- Rapids Extend Home Unbeaten Streak in 1-1 Draw with Seattle Sounders FC
- Keys against Seattle: Be Ambitious & Lock up a Playoff Berth
- Keys against Seattle: Be Ambitious & Lock up a Playoff Berth