Real Salt Lake Heads South to Face Houston Dynamo FC
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Salt Lake is set to open a stretch of three-consecutive road games on Saturday, July 31 when it faces Houston Dynamo FC at BBVA Stadium in Houston, Texas at 6:30 p.m. MT. The match will be the first of three games in eight days.
The match will be broadcast live on KMYU and can be accessed locally via live stream on the KSL TV app. ESPN700 will carry the English radio broadcast and Spanish-speaking fans can tune in on KBMG Latino 106.3, La Gran D 102.3 and KTUB 1600.
Real Salt Lake vs. Houston Dynamo FC
BBVA Stadium; Houston, Texas
Saturday, July 31, 2021; 6:30 p.m. MT
Records: Real Salt Lake 5-4-5, (20 points, 7th in West); Houston Dynamo (3-4-8, 17 points, 9th in West)
Head-to-Head: Real Salt Lake has a 11-12-8 record against Houston Dynamo FC with the most recent match resulting in a 1-1 draw at Rio Tinto Stadium on June 26, during which Justen Glad scored for RSL in the 10th minute.
Stories to Watch:
Things Are Looking Up
Through 14 games in 2021 Real Salt Lake has found the back of the net 24 times, tied for the fifth-most in Major League Soccer. On the opposite side, the team has only allowed 16 goals for the sixth-best goal differential in the league. Last year the team only managed to score 25 goals, while allowing 35 for a -10 goal differential.
Wood You Look at That
Last weekend against Colorado Rapids forward Bobby Wood secured his first goal for RSL. Prior to his goal, Wood had several runs at goal, but was tripped up by defenders just outside of the 18-yard-box. In the 30th minute he could not be contained as he drove his way down the pitch before calmly slotting the ball into the back of the net. He is now the ninth player to score for RSL this season.
Another Day Another Draw
Houston Dynamo FC are winless in eight matches dating back to their 2-1 win against Vancouver on May 22. However, six of their last eight games have ended in draws, most recently a 0-0 result against Vancouver on July 20 and a 1-1- finish against San Jose Earthquakes on July 24. Houston's eight draws are currently tied with Atlanta United and Nashville SC for the most of any team this season. One of the team's draws includes the 1-1 result against Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on June 26.
After being traded from Los Angeles FC to Houston Dynamo FC just one day before the Texas side faces his former club, Corey Baird will be available to suit up against Real Salt Lake for the third time this season. Baird was previously traded from RSL to LAFC for cash considerations and an international roster spot during the off season. In his three years in Utah, Baird scored 15 goals in 83 appearances and was named the 2018 MLS Rookie of the Year.
Connections: RSL Assistant Coach Pablo Mastroeni previously served in the same position under Dynamo FC Head Coach Tab Ramos before joining Freddy Juarez and his staff at Real Salt Lake. Similarly, one of Houston's Assistant Coaches Martin Vasquez, led the Real Monarchs at the beginning of the 2019 USL Championship season and was a longtime fixture in the coaching ranks with the RSL Academy.
Former RSL Homegrown Player Corey Baird was traded from Los Angeles FC to Houston just one day before the match, making him available to suit up against his former club for the third time this season. Baird was previously traded from RSL this past offseason. During his time in Utah the forward appeared in 83 matches, scored 15 goals and was named the 2018 MLS Rookie of the Year.
RSL forward Rubio Rubin and defenders Justen Glad and Aaron Herrera each played in the FIFA U-20 World Cup under Ramos while he served as U.S. U-20 National Team Head Coach.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2021
- Atlanta United Falls 3-2 to Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- Nani's 87th Minute Game-Winner Leads Lions over Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 1 Columbus Crew - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Heads South to Face Houston Dynamo FC - Real Salt Lake
- Vines, Acosta, Lewis and Rest of USMNT Are Finals Bound After Defeating Qatar - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC at Vancouver Whitecaps Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Partners with Freedom Solar to Support Energy Efficiency at Q2 Stadium - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against FC Dallas on September 18 Moved to 9 p.m. CT - Houston Dynamo FC
- Kickoff Time for FC Dallas' Road Match vs. Houston Dynamo FC on September 18 Moved to 9PM CT - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Sign Forward and Former U.S. Youth International Mckinze Gaines - Austin FC
- LA Galaxy Loan Defender Giancarlo González to Costa Rican Side Alajuelense - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Loan Rocco Romeo to Valour FC - Toronto FC
- LAFC Acquires $750,000 in Allocation Money and International Slot from Houston Dynamo in Exchange for Forward Corey Baird - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire FW Corey Baird from LAFC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Recall Erik Sorga from Loudoun United FC Loan - D.C. United
- NYCFC Teams up with NY Designer on Biggest Streetwear Apparel Collab in MLS History - New York City FC
- #SKCvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Rapids Make First Trip to Austin FC, Q2 Stadium on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Forward Nigel Robertha Suffers Grade Two Adductor Strain - D.C. United
- Charlotte FC Welcomes New Academy Coaches and Operations Staff for 2021-22 Season - Charlotte FC
- Orlando City SC Reinforces Recommendation for Fans to Wear Masks to Upcoming Matches - Orlando City SC
- Josh Penn Joins Charleston Battery on LoanÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- New York Welcomes New England Revolution to Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Falls 6-1 at Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Visits Portland for Crucial Western Conference Clash
- Real Salt Lake to Host Hispanic Heritage Night on September 29
- Real Salt Lake Drops Seattle Sounders FC 1-0
- Real Salt Lake Closes Three-Game Week Saturday against Seattle Sounders FC