Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Saturday
Second-place Sporting Kansas City (9-3-3, 30 points) will put a five-game unbeaten streak on the line Saturday when they host longtime Western Conference foe FC Dallas (3-7-5, 14 points) at Children's Mercy Park. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. CT and a limited number of tickets for the match are available at SeatGeek.com, including Coca-Cola Family Four-Packs that bundle four South Stand general admission tickets, four Coca-Cola products and four Domino's pizzas.
Bally Sports Kansas City Plus, Bally Sports Midwest Plus, BallySports.com and the Bally Sports app will provide three hours of live coverage on Saturday beginning at 7 p.m. CT. The contest will also air locally on Sports Radio 810 WHB (English) and La Grande 1340 AM (Spanish), with The Final Whistle postgame show immediately following on 810 WHB. The Sporting KC app will give additional in-game updates, matchday offers and a digital coupon courtesy of Price Chopper.
Sporting will recognize the service and sacrifice of military members and their families on Saturday when the club celebrates its fourth annual Sporting Salutes, held in partnership with match sponsor Hallmark. Five military medical personnel will be honored during an on-field ceremony before kickoff, featuring representation from the U.S. Navy, the Kansas National Guard and the U.S. Air Force's 303rd Fighter Squadron.
Fans can visit SportingStyle locations inside the stadium to shop from a variety of camo merchandise while supplies last, including the limited-edition Sporting Salutes Camo Training Top and Scarf of the Match, two different Salute to Service caps and the Camo Top Koozie. Furthermore, all jerseys and training tops will be available at 15% off in celebration of Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes -- a Super Bowl champion and an iconic No. 15 -- joining the Sporting Club ownership group earlier this week.
Riding a wave of palpable momentum, Sporting are 7-1-2 in their last 10 matches and posted a statement 3-1 road victory over West Seattle Sounders FC last weekend. Manager Peter Vermes' men are three points shy of first place in the Supporters' Shield race, owning a game in hand on leaders New England Revolution, and haven't lost at Children's Mercy Park since September 2020. Sporting's 11-game home unbeaten run in the regular season is the third longest in club history, one shy of moving into a tie for second longest.
Red-hot forward Daniel Salloi has led the way for a Sporting attack that tops MLS with 1.87 goals per match. The 25-year-old Sporting KC Academy product has a league-best 12 combined goals (nine) and primary assists (three) as well as five game-winning goals. Captain Johnny Russell has also caught fire in recent weeks, tallying two goals and three assists during the month of July, while center back Andreu Fontas, goalkeeper Tim Melia and emerging 20-year-old midfielder Cam Duke -- who opened his MLS scoring account in Seattle -- have also given Sporting major lifts.
Saturday's showdown will feature a pair of MLS originals that take pride in developing homegrown talent. On the Sporting sideline, the likes of Salloi, Duke, Gianluca Busio, Jaylin Lindsey, Kaveh Rad, Wilson Harris and Felipe Hernandez have collectively accounted for 15 of Sporting's 28 goals and nine of 23 assists this year. Remarkably enough, Sporting KC Academy products have scored or assisted in 10 consecutive matches dating back to May 16. Dallas, meanwhile, has seen 18-year-old forward Ricardo Pepi blossom into one of the best teenage attackers in American soccer. The U.S. youth international ranks fifth in MLS with eight goals and erupted for a hat trick in a 4-0 home triumph against the LA Galaxy last Saturday.
Busio is one of five Sporting players ruled out for Saturday's game. The 19-year-old midfielder has helped the United States Men's National Team reach the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Final, where they will square off against Sporting striker Alan Pulido and archrivals Mexico on Sunday night in Las Vegas. While Busio and Pulido are out for international duty, Hernandez will be absent for personal reasons and Amadou Dia and Grayson Barber won't be available due to health and safety protocols.
Led by head coach Luchi Gonzalez, FC Dallas boasts a strong record against Sporting in recent meetings. The Texas side has four wins and a draw in the last five head-to-head matchups and wields an impressive 3-0-1 record in its last four visits to Children's Mercy Park. On the flipside, Dallas has lost all seven away matches this season and their eight-game road losing streak dating back to the end of 2020 is the longest in team history. Dallas has gone unbeaten at home in 2021, collecting three wins and five draws at Toyota Stadium, but their seven defeats on the road have condemned the club to 10th place in the West.
After missing each of the last two matches due to health and safety protocols, Vermes will return to the sidelines this weekend. Should he lead his team to victory on Saturday, it would be his 200th coaching win for the club in all competitions. Vermes' men are on pace to collect 68 points in the regular season, which would eclipse the club record of 63 points set in 2012.
Sporting Kansas City is owned by Sporting Club, an entity comprised of local business and community leaders including the Patterson Family, Cliff Illig, Pat Curran, Greg Maday, Robb Heineman and Patrick Mahomes. Sporting prides itself on a commitment and vision to provide high-performance experiences. Sporting Club purchased the team from the Hunt Sports Group in 2006, and under its direction has launched Swope Soccer Village, Children's Mercy Park, Compass Minerals Sporting Fields, Compass Minerals National Performance Center and Central Bank Sporting Complex while investing in the Sporting KC Academy and Sporting Kansas City II for developing local youth into homegrown talent. A charter member of Major League Soccer, Sporting are two-time MLS Cup champions (2000, 2013) and four-time winners of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (2004, 2012, 2015, 2017).-- SportingKC.com --
Sporting Kansas City vs. FC Dallas
2021 MLS Regular Season | Match 16
Saturday, July 31, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. CT
Children's Mercy Park | Kansas City, Kansas
English TV | Bally Sports Kansas City Plus
English TV | Bally Sports Midwest Plus
Streaming | BallySports.com and Bally Sports app
English Radio | Sports Radio 810 WHB
Spanish Radio | La Grande 1340 AM
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2021
- Atlanta United Falls 3-2 to Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- Nani's 87th Minute Game-Winner Leads Lions over Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 1 Columbus Crew - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Heads South to Face Houston Dynamo FC - Real Salt Lake
- Vines, Acosta, Lewis and Rest of USMNT Are Finals Bound After Defeating Qatar - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC at Vancouver Whitecaps Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Partners with Freedom Solar to Support Energy Efficiency at Q2 Stadium - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against FC Dallas on September 18 Moved to 9 p.m. CT - Houston Dynamo FC
- Kickoff Time for FC Dallas' Road Match vs. Houston Dynamo FC on September 18 Moved to 9PM CT - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Sign Forward and Former U.S. Youth International Mckinze Gaines - Austin FC
- LA Galaxy Loan Defender Giancarlo González to Costa Rican Side Alajuelense - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Loan Rocco Romeo to Valour FC - Toronto FC
- LAFC Acquires $750,000 in Allocation Money and International Slot from Houston Dynamo in Exchange for Forward Corey Baird - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire FW Corey Baird from LAFC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Recall Erik Sorga from Loudoun United FC Loan - D.C. United
- NYCFC Teams up with NY Designer on Biggest Streetwear Apparel Collab in MLS History - New York City FC
- #SKCvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Rapids Make First Trip to Austin FC, Q2 Stadium on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Forward Nigel Robertha Suffers Grade Two Adductor Strain - D.C. United
- Charlotte FC Welcomes New Academy Coaches and Operations Staff for 2021-22 Season - Charlotte FC
- Orlando City SC Reinforces Recommendation for Fans to Wear Masks to Upcoming Matches - Orlando City SC
- Josh Penn Joins Charleston Battery on LoanÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- New York Welcomes New England Revolution to Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Weekly
- Sporting KC Suffers 2-1 Loss in Vancouver
- Sporting to Visit Vancouver on Sunday
- USWNT Announces Roster for October 21 Match at Children's Mercy Park
- Sporting KC Weekly