Rangers Pull away from Spitfires in Third
The Kitchener Rangers hosted The Windsor Spitfires at The Aud for the third time this season. We were looking to get back in the win column and start a three-in-three weekend on a winning note.
Five minutes into the game, Mitchell Martin scored his 8th of the season to put the Rangers out to the early 1-0 lead. Later in the period, the Rangers were given a powerplay opportunity, but could not capitalize. After a successful 1st period, we looked to carry our momentum over into the 2nd.
Windsor tied the game in the 2nd period on the powerplay, making it 1-1. Simon Motew answered immediately as he scored from the point. The Rangers took a 2-1 lead six minutes in. Pavel Cajan was steady for the Rangers, stopping 21 of 22 shots in the 2nd, including some big stops on the penalty kill.
Two minutes into the 3rd period, Windsor tied the game again, which made it 2-2. Later, Mitch Martin scored his second of the game on the powerplay, giving the Rangers a 3-2 lead. Martin would add an empty-net goal for insurance and the hat trick, which made it 4-2.
The Rangers were victorious in their first outing out of three this weekend. We will look to carry over the momentum into tomorrow's game.
We play in Flint at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2022
- Steelheads Drop One at Home - Mississauga Steelheads
- The I-75 Divide Cup Returns to Flint, Firebirds Down Spirit 6-3 - Flint Firebirds
- Spitfires Fall to Rangers 4-2 - Windsor Spitfires
- Rangers Pull away from Spitfires in Third - Kitchener Rangers
- Ottawa Takes Overtime Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Six-Unanswered from London Ruins Erie's Early Lead - Erie Otters
- Frasca's Pair Halts Bulldogs Momentum in 5-2 Loss - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Help Us Fill in Our 'Missing Moments in History' - Oshawa Generals
- Game Day Preview: KGN vs HAM - Kingston Frontenacs
- Updated Fan Capacity and Ticketing Info - Kitchener Rangers
- Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs Soo Greyhounds - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Return Home, Seek Definitive Win in I-75 Divide Cup Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Tonight: Spirit vs. Firebirds, 7:00 p.m., Dort Financial Event Center - Saginaw Spirit
- Generals Get Revenge in Win over Steelheads - Oshawa Generals
- Troops Trim Wolves 4-1 - North Bay Battalion
- Goaltending and Determination Propel Attack Past Colts - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Push Streak to 10 Games - Mississauga Steelheads
- Ottawa Win Streak Ends in Peterborough - Ottawa 67's
- Spitfires Comeback and Win in a Shootout over Soo 3-2 - Windsor Spitfires
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.