Rainiers Win Fifth Straight over Beavers
PORTLAND, Ore. - Chris Seddon pitched five innings of scoreless relief and Chris Woodward drove in two as the Tacoma Rainiers beat the Portland Beavers 4-2 Sunday afternoon at PGE Park.
Matt Mangini tallied two hits and one RBI for the Rainiers (36-32) as Tacoma won its fifth straight game against the Beavers (25-44).
Sean Kazmar finished with two hits and one run scored while Chris Stewart drove in the Beavers' only two runs as Portland outhit the Rainiers 8-7.
Seddon (8-3), who entered the game in the fifth inning, notched his eighth win of the season for the first-place Rainiers.
Cesar Carrillo (4-5) pitched a season-high eight innings for the Beavers, giving up four runs on seven hits while striking out eight.
Stewart hit a two-out, two-run double down the third-base line to give the Beavers a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning.
The Beavers' lead was short-lived as Woodward evened the game at 2-2 in the top of the fifth inning with a two-out single to left, driving in Mangini and Greg Halman.
Tacoma pulled ahead 4-2 in the sixth inning with RBIs by Mangini and Halman.
Doug Fister gave up two runs on four hits in a rehab start for the Rainiers.
The Beavers and Rainiers meet again Monday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) in the finale of their four-game series at PGE Park.
NOTES: Mitch Canham recorded his first hit as a Beaver, hitting a single off of the right field wall.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 20, 2010
- Round Rock Express Homer Barrage Downs Omaha 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Win Fifth Straight over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Astros Call Up Bourgeois, Castro, Johnson - Round Rock Express
- Fowler's Cycle Propels Sox to Father's Day Victory, 13-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sounds Win Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss to RedHawks - Nashville Sounds
- Luna Leads Zephyrs to Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Zephyrs Hold Off Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Cubs Blanked by Isotopes, 4-0 - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sox Drop Second Straight at Home to Vegas, 7-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Iowa Takes 14-Inning Marathon - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Win Fourth Game in a Row - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Beat Beavers 7-4 Behind 15-Hit Attack - Portland Beavers
- Grizzlies Hold Reno Scoreless, 4-0 - Reno Aces
- Omaha Topples Round Rock 10-4 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss