Rainiers Beat Beavers 7-4 Behind 15-Hit Attack
PORTLAND, Ore. - Mike Wilson's two-run homer in the second inning set the tone as the Tacoma Rainiers pounded out 15 hits and beat the Portland Beavers 7-4 before 5,321 at PGE Park on Saturday night.
Wilson crushed a 2-1 fastball from Radhames Liz (4-2) onto 18th Avenue beyond left field for one of three Rainiers (35-32) home runs on the night. Six Tacoma hitters picked up multiple hits, including Guillermo Quiroz, who had a solo home run among his three base hits. Greg Halman had a pair of doubles and Matt Mangini hit a solo home run in the eighth inning for insurance as the Rainiers knocked off the Beavers for the fifth time in six meetings this season.
Luke French (7-2), optioned to Tacoma from Seattle on Friday, went 6 2/3 innings and allowed four runs on seven hits.
Chris Stewart continued his great June with a two-run homer and Anthony Contreras had two hits for the Beavers (25-43), who have lost five of their last six games.
Liz struggled in his second start back from the disabled list, giving up two home runs and five earned runs on eight hits in three innings.
The Rainiers used three straight one-out singles in the first by Jack Hannahan, Jack Wilson and Brad Nelson to take a 1-0 lead.
Tacoma padded that lead in the second, as Mike Wilson followed Halman's ground-rule double with a two-run blast onto the 18th Avenue walkway. Mangini then singled and scored three batters later on Jack Wilson's groundout.
Stewart cut the Beavers' deficit in half in the bottom of the second by taking French deep for a two-run shot to left, Portland's first home run since June 12.
Quiroz homered in the top of the third to push the Tacoma lead to 5-2.
Luis Durango singled and came around for the Beavers' third run on a sac fly by Mike Baxter in the bottom of the third.
After Aaron Poreda held the Rainiers offense in check with three scoreless innings, Halman picked up his second double in the seventh to bring home Nelson.
Brad Chalk's RBI double in the bottom of the inning got the Beavers back to within two at 6-4.
Levale Speigner pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings behind French to earn his sixth save.
The Beavers and Rainiers continue their series on Father's Day Sunday at PGE Park at 2:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Former Oregon State standout catcher Mitch Canham was transferred to Portland from Class AA San Antonio earlier in the day as infielder Eric Munson was placed on the Beavers' disabled list with a right calf strain. A supplemental-round pick of the Padres in 2007, Canham finished 0-for-4 in his Triple-A debut ... Stewart's streak of five consecutive multi-hit games came to an end.
Beavers Game File SATURDAY'S GAME: Tacoma 7, Beavers 4 WINNING PITCHER: French (7-2) LOSING PITCHER: Liz (4-2) SAVE: Speigner (6) HOME RUNS: Stewart (4), M. Wilson (9), Quiroz (2), Mangini (9) SUNDAY'S GAME: Tacoma (Doug Fister: NR) at Portland (Cesar Carrillo: 4-4, 4.61), 2:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 20, 2010
- Round Rock Express Homer Barrage Downs Omaha 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Win Fifth Straight over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Astros Call Up Bourgeois, Castro, Johnson - Round Rock Express
- Fowler's Cycle Propels Sox to Father's Day Victory, 13-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sounds Win Streak Snapped with 5-4 Loss to RedHawks - Nashville Sounds
- Luna Leads Zephyrs to Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Zephyrs Hold Off Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Cubs Blanked by Isotopes, 4-0 - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sox Drop Second Straight at Home to Vegas, 7-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Iowa Takes 14-Inning Marathon - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Win Fourth Game in a Row - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Beat Beavers 7-4 Behind 15-Hit Attack - Portland Beavers
- Grizzlies Hold Reno Scoreless, 4-0 - Reno Aces
- Omaha Topples Round Rock 10-4 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss