Rain, Lookouts Halt Barons In 12-2 Loss
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - On a wet night at Regions Field, the Birmingham Barons (32-36) fell to the Chattanooga Lookouts (36-33) by a 12-2 score on Saturday night in a rain-shortened contest. The Birmingham loss evens up the five-game series at two games each.
Turning Point: In the second inning, James Ramesy launched a three-run home run off debuting Barons starter Alec Hansen (L, 0-1), and that proved to be the difference. The homer put Chattanooga in front 4-1 after both teams scored in the first inning.
Moments That Mattered: In the sixth, former Baron Andy Wilkins hit a three-run homer off Birmingham reliever Connor Walsh to make the lead 11-2 Lookouts. After Chattanooga plated another run, the skies above Regions Field opened up, leading to a delay of more than an hour before the umpires called the game, giving the visitors a win.
By The Numbers: In his first start since recovering from a forearm injury, Hansen struggled. Over 4.2 innings, he gave up six earned runs on nine hits with one walk and four strikeouts to take the loss. In relief, Walsh gave up six runs of his own over two thirds of an inning.
Facts and Figures: At the plate, the Barons got two hits and two runs from leadoff hitter Danny Mendick, but little else as the rest of the offense combined for three hits. Eloy Jimenez drove in the first run on a sacrifice fly while Bryant Flete added an RBI single in the fifth inning.
Up Next: The Barons end the first half with Jordan Guerrero (2-6, 6.35) set to start on Sunday afternoon. First pitch against the Lookouts is scheduled for 3 p.m. Curt Bloom will have the call on 960 WERC News Radio and the iHeart Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 16, 2018
- Shrimp Sneak by Generals on Late Runs - Jackson Generals
- Rain, Lookouts Halt Barons In 12-2 Loss - Birmingham Barons
- Walk-Off Walk Drops M-Braves on Saturday Night in Biloxi, 2-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Jagielo Drives in Four as Shrimp Rally Past Generals, 7-6 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- BayBears Sink Wahoos 4-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Smokies Rally Comes up Short as Biscuits Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Walks Prove Extra Costly for M-Braves in Shuckers' Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- BayBears Break Through for First Win in Series - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits Blast Smokies, 8-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Jake Jewell Shines in Major League Debut Saturday - Mobile BayBears
- Wendell Rijo Sent to Yankees to Complete Eric Kratz Trade - Biloxi Shuckers
- Luis Pena Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Matt Custred Added to South Division All-Star Team - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits Rally, Shock Smokies, 7-5 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Fall to Biscuits in Extra-Innings - Tennessee Smokies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.