Railroaders Drop Opener to Wingnuts
CLEBURNE, Texas - Trevor Sealey extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a multi-hit night, but the Cleburne offense scuffled in a 3-1 loss to the Wichita Wingnuts at The Depot on Friday night.
Sealey singled to extend the streak in the 1st inning and then singled again in the 3rd. Sealey's streak is now just one shy of Levi Scott's season-best 14-game streak.
Cleburne opened the scoring with Angel Rosa's 12th homer of the year - a leadoff shot in the bottom of the 1st inning.
Patrick Mincey went six innings and gave up just four hits and one unearned run with three walks and six strikeouts, but gave up the run in the 5th inning after Leo Vargas laid down a bunt and reached second on Mincey's throwing error before Logan Watkins drove in the run with his third triple against Cleburne this year.
Roman Gomez came on for the 7th inning, and after recording two outs with just four pitches, Zach Nehrir broke a 1-1 tie with his sixth homer of the year.
Cleburne had chances in the 7th and 8th innings - leaving a pair on base in the 7th before stranding the bases loaded in the 8th.
Patrick Young gave up an unearned run in the top of the 9th inning before Daniel Tillman worked his league-leading 22nd save, facing the minimum in the bottom-half of the 9th.
Wichita starter Jordan Cooper tossed 6.2 innings and gave up just one run on five hits with one walk and a career-best 10 strikeouts.
The Railroaders and Wingnuts continue their last four-game set of the year Saturday night at 7:06 p.m. Cleburne will send RHP Josh Hodges to the mound and RHP Charlie Gillies.
Saturday is also the next installment of the Saturday Summer Concert Series and will feature a free postgame concert from Brittany Bullard. Tickets are available at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 10, 2018
- Saltdogs Steamroll AirHogs 16-6 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Canaries Come from Behind for Fourth Win in a Row - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Two-Out Hits Back Cooper as Wingnuts Clip Cleburne - Wichita Wingnuts
- All-Around Effort by Ijames Not Enough for AirHogs in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Use Huge Fifth to Beat Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Drop Opener to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Back on Top, Move into Tie for First Place with 9-1 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Smashed by Saints, 9-1; Fall into First Place Tie - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Golson Goes Deep in Thursday Loss in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Search for Comeback, Come up Short against Explorers - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dykstra Leads X's Back into the Win Column - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.