Canaries Come from Behind for Fourth Win in a Row
A four-run seventh inning broke open a pitchers' duel and gave the Sioux Falls Canaries their fourth straight win. The Birds beat the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 5-2 in front of a capacity crowd of 4,566 at the Birdcage.
The come-from-behind win matches the Canaries' longest winning streak of the season.
The game was tight early. The Canaries offense managed managed just four hits in the first six innings of play.
RedHawks catcher Charlie Valerio hit a solo home run to give the RedHawks a 2-0 lead after six.
Canaries starter Miles Nordgren threw six innings of two-run ball for Sioux Falls. He allowed seven hits and two walks while striking out two.
The Birds loaded the bases with one out in the seventh. Jordan Smith barely beat out a potential double-play ball, allowing Mike Hart to score from third with the Birds' first run.
One batter later, Jordan Dean hit a ground ball to first. A tough hop handcuffed first baseman Chris Jacobs, giving Dean an RBI single to tie the game.
That brought up David Bergin, who smashed a two-run double off the center-field wall to give the Canaries a 4-2 lead.
The Birds added an insurance run in the eighth. Chris Grayson hit a leadoff triple and scored on a wild pitch by Benji Waite to make it 5-2.
With Kyle Schepel unavailable after pitching for three straight nights, Luis Pollorena pitched the ninth for Sioux Falls. Chris Jacobs flew out to center to end the game.
The Birds have a chance to clinch a series win Saturday when they face Fargo-Moorhead at the Birdcage. The first 500 fans in attendance will receive a free pack of Canaries baseball cards. Birds fans can get their tickets at the Sioux Falls Stadium box office or by calling 336-6060.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 10, 2018
- Saltdogs Steamroll AirHogs 16-6 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Canaries Come from Behind for Fourth Win in a Row - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Two-Out Hits Back Cooper as Wingnuts Clip Cleburne - Wichita Wingnuts
- All-Around Effort by Ijames Not Enough for AirHogs in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Use Huge Fifth to Beat Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Drop Opener to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Back on Top, Move into Tie for First Place with 9-1 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Smashed by Saints, 9-1; Fall into First Place Tie - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Golson Goes Deep in Thursday Loss in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Search for Comeback, Come up Short against Explorers - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dykstra Leads X's Back into the Win Column - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.