RailCats Top Goldeyes
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (23-31) lost 8-1 to the Gary SouthShore RailCats at Shaw Park on Friday night.
Cole Fabio reached on an error by Goldeyes' first baseman Jordan Ebert leading off the top of the third. After Alex Crosby singled to left, Andy DeJesus pushed a sacrifice bunt attempt to third. Josh Mazzola charged forward and barehanded the ball before making an errant throw to first that allowed both Fabio and Crosby to score. Later in the inning, Ronnie Mitchell singled home Colin Willis with two outs to extend Gary SouthShore's lead to 3-0.
Reggie Wilson led off the fourth with a triple to right-centre. Goldeyes' starter Tyler Herron came back to strike out Will Savage before Wilson raced home on a Cole Fabio groundball to shortstop.
The Goldeyes cut into the lead in the bottom of the fifth. RailCats' starter Gabe Perez issued three walks, including a 10-pitch turn at the plate by Matt McCann. Josh Romanski lifted a sacrifice fly to right that scored Ebert.
Left-hander Jack Fowler relieved Perez in the bottom of the sixth and escaped a first and second, no-out jam to keep the RailCats in front.
Gary (26-25) then broke the game open with a four-run top of the seventh. Savage and Fabio started the frame with singles, while a Crosby sacrifice that resulted in an error loaded the bases with no outs. DeJesus singled through the right side to score Savage, and the RailCats made it 6-1 when Tillman Pugh bounced into a double play. Two batters later, Mitchell hit a two-out, two-run double into the left field corner.
Keaton Steele worked two shutout innings in relief of Fowler. Adam Quintana closed things out with a perfect bottom of the ninth.
Perez (2-0) earned the win, holding Winnipeg to one earned run on one hit over five innings. Perez walked five and struck out four.
Herron (4-6) took a tough-luck loss in his Goldeyes' debut, delivering a quality start. Herron allowed eight runs, two earned, on nine hits in six and two-thirds innings. Herron walked two and struck out three.
Brandon Bingel and Pete Perez combined for two and one-third shutout relief innings.
Game two of the three-game series is Saturday evening at 6:05 p.m. Kevin McGovern (3-5, 3.97) faces right-hander Daniel Minor (8-2, 2.61). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 13, 2018
- RailCats Top Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cooper, Eighth-Inning Outburst Carry Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- 'Cats Take Advantage of 3 Goldeyes Errors, Take Series Opener 8-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Relief All Night Long as Saints Pitching Dominates in 4-1 Victory over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Missed Opportunities Plague T-Bones; KC Loses 4-1 - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Sign Outfielder Ronnie Mitchell - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Add Infielder Colin Walsh and RHP Ian Hardman - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Add Three Players Before Texas Road Trip - Chicago Dogs
- Mariners Purchase Contract of T-Bones Lefty Joe Filomeno - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Trade for Ex-Big Leaguer, Former Husker Dan Johnson - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Experience for Youth, Saints Trade Former Major Leaguer Dan Johnson to Lincoln for Rookie First Baseman Nathaniel Maggio - St. Paul Saints
- Canaries Gain Split on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Thomas Goes Deep But Texas Drops Opener in Wichita - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.