Cooper, Eighth-Inning Outburst Carry Wichita
WICHITA, Kan. - A season-high 7.1 innings from Jordan Cooper and a six-run bottom of the eighth powered the Wichita Wingnuts to a 12-3 win over the Texas AirHogs on Friday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Cooper (5-4) pitched scoreless ball into the eighth, tying a season-high by inducing three double plays as the Wingnuts offense built a 6-0 lead. The right-hander was tagged for three runs in the eighth, finishing his outing with two walks and two strikeouts while surrendering eight hits.
Abel Nieves started the scoring for Wichita (32-20) in the first, smacking an RBI single to score Logan Watkins for a 1-0 lead. RBI doubles from Nieves and Tony Thomas extended the Wingnuts lead in the third against Texas starter Miguel Rosario (1-7), pushing the advantage out to 3-0. Leo Vargas tacked on another run with a sacrifice fly in the fourth.
The Wingnuts made it 6-0 in the sixth. Hunter Clanin dumped a double down the right field line, then AirHogs right fielder Stewart Ijames threw the ball away trying to gun down Clanin at second. The error allowed Logan Trowbridge to score, then Clanin scored on an RBI single from Vargas.
Texas (14-37) pulled back to within 6-3 with a trio of runs against Cooper in the top of the eighth. A throwing error from Nieves scored the first, Casio Grider lined an RBI single, then Dillon Thomas plated another with a groundout before Brady Bowen escaped the frame.
Six runs came around to score in the eighth for Wichita, highlighted by a three-run triple for Zach Nehrir. The Wingnuts hit three triples in the game, setting a season-high. John Nester capped the scoring in the contest with an RBI double.
The Wingnuts and AirHogs continue their series on Saturday night, with right-hander Charlie Gillies (4-1, 2.62) starting for the Wingnuts opposite fellow righty Meng Weiqiang (4-4, 3.63) First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 13, 2018
- RailCats Top Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cooper, Eighth-Inning Outburst Carry Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- 'Cats Take Advantage of 3 Goldeyes Errors, Take Series Opener 8-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Relief All Night Long as Saints Pitching Dominates in 4-1 Victory over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Missed Opportunities Plague T-Bones; KC Loses 4-1 - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Sign Outfielder Ronnie Mitchell - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Add Infielder Colin Walsh and RHP Ian Hardman - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Add Three Players Before Texas Road Trip - Chicago Dogs
- Mariners Purchase Contract of T-Bones Lefty Joe Filomeno - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Trade for Ex-Big Leaguer, Former Husker Dan Johnson - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Experience for Youth, Saints Trade Former Major Leaguer Dan Johnson to Lincoln for Rookie First Baseman Nathaniel Maggio - St. Paul Saints
- Canaries Gain Split on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Thomas Goes Deep But Texas Drops Opener in Wichita - Texas AirHogs