'Cats Take Advantage of 3 Goldeyes Errors, Take Series Opener 8-1
WINNIPEG, Manitoba, Canada - Three Winnipeg errors, 12 hits, two multi-run innings and four scoreless frames from the bullpen led Gary to an 8-1 win over the Goldeyes on Friday night at Shaw Park in the start of the RailCats six-game, seven-day road trip. Eight of the nine Gary starters reached base at least once, seven of whom reached twice or more.
The RailCats jumped out to a 3-0 lead on three unearned runs in the third. Cole Fabio reached on a fielding error from Goldeyes first baseman Jordan Ebert to start the inning before Alex Crosby singled to left. Andy De Jesus followed with a sacrifice bunt, however, Josh Mazzola threw wide to first base after bare-handing the ball, allowing both Fabio and Crosby to score. Colin Willis kept the inning going with a two-out, opposite-field double before Ronnie Mitchell brought Willis around to score with his first IPBF hit in his second at-bat with Gary.
Gary (26-25) made it 4-0 with another run in the fourth. Reggie Wilson led off the inning with his team-leading fourth triple to the right-center gap. With the infield drawn in and a 3-0 count, Fabio brought home Wilson with an RBI fielder's choice.
Winnipeg (23-31) got their only run in the fifth. After loading the bases with three walks in the inning, former RailCat Josh Romanski delivered a sacrifice fly to right, bringing home Ebert from third.
The 'Cats tacked on four more runs in the seventh to take their biggest lead of the evening at 8-1. De Jesus brought in the first run of the frame with an RBI single to right before Tillman Pugh bounced into a bounced play, scoring Fabio from third. Mitchell then increased Gary's lead to seven with a two-out, two-run double off the top of the left field wall for the final runs of the contest.
Gabe Perez (2-0) earned the win with five innings of one-run ball in his third start. Perez yielded one-hit, hit a batter, walked a career-high five and struck out four. Jack Fowler (3) recorded a hold with a scoreless bottom of the sixth inning while Keaton Steele and Adam Quintana closed out the game with a combined three shutout innings of relief.
Tyler Herron (4-6) was charged with the loss in his Goldeyes debut after getting claimed off waivers from Lincoln on Wednesday. The 13-year veteran allowed eight runs (two earned) on nine hits, two walks and struck out three over 6.2 innings.
Gary continues their three-game series from Canada against Winnipeg on Saturday at 6 p.m. RHP Daniel Minor (8-2) makes his league-high 13th start against Goldeyes LHP Kevin McGovern (3-5, 3.97).
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Friday, July 20th vs. the St. Paul Saints. Friday's game is Kevin "Bacon" Night and includes bacon-themed concession specials, as well as another Fifth Third Bank Fireworks Friday.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 13, 2018
- RailCats Top Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cooper, Eighth-Inning Outburst Carry Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- 'Cats Take Advantage of 3 Goldeyes Errors, Take Series Opener 8-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Relief All Night Long as Saints Pitching Dominates in 4-1 Victory over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Missed Opportunities Plague T-Bones; KC Loses 4-1 - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Sign Outfielder Ronnie Mitchell - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Add Infielder Colin Walsh and RHP Ian Hardman - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Add Three Players Before Texas Road Trip - Chicago Dogs
- Mariners Purchase Contract of T-Bones Lefty Joe Filomeno - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Trade for Ex-Big Leaguer, Former Husker Dan Johnson - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Experience for Youth, Saints Trade Former Major Leaguer Dan Johnson to Lincoln for Rookie First Baseman Nathaniel Maggio - St. Paul Saints
- Canaries Gain Split on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Thomas Goes Deep But Texas Drops Opener in Wichita - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- Series Opener vs. St. Paul Suspended
- 'Cats Bring Bacon, Beach Party, and Bucket Hats to the B Allpark
- Series Finale against Fargo-Moorhead Washed Out
- RailCats Claim Second Straight Series with 8-2 Win over Fargo-Moorhead
- Early Lead, Strong Start from Gunn Leads 'Cats to 3-2 Win over RedHawks