RailCats Rally, Walk-Off in 10th on Gimenez's Single
GARY, Ind. - Down 3-0 after the top of the third, the Gary SouthShore RailCats scored four unanswered runs, including the game-tying run in the ninth before walking-off on Wilfredo Gimenez's single in the bottom of the 10th to take down the reigning champion Winnipeg Goldeyes, 4-3 on Monday night. Gary has now won eight of their last nine games and is 6-1 during their season-long 10-day homestand with Monday's walk-off victory.
Down 3-2 entering the bottom of the ninth, Gary forced extras after scoring an unearned run off American Association save leader Victor Cappelan. Garrett Copeland gave the 'Cats hope after tripling down the right field line with one out, putting the tying run of third. Cole Fabio replaced Copeland as a pinch-runner before scoring the game-tying run on a fielding error from Winnipeg shortstop Andrew Sohn.
Keaton Steele struck out two of three batters in a perfect top of the 10th, keeping the game tied at 3-3. Mitch Glasser was hit on the side to lead off the frame before Colin Willis drew a four-pitch walk. A wild pitch from Zack Hartman allowed both runners to advance 90-feet. Andy Paz grounded out to second for the first out, allowing neither runner to move up a base, before Gimenez delivered the walk-off win with a single off the glove of Hartman, scoring Glasser from third for the 'Cats first extra-innings victory.
Winnipeg (9-8) scored all three of their runs in the top of the third, two of which came with two outs. Victor Cruzado reached on a one-out single for the first of his four hits before Sohn brought him in with an RBI triple to right-center for the game's first run. Two batters later, Reynaldo Rodriguez doubled the Winnipeg lead with a two-out RBI infield single before Grant Heyman made it 3-0 with an RBI double to left.
Gary (10-6) cut the deficit to one with a pair of two-out runs in the bottom of the third. Glasser doubled with two outs before Willis brought him around to score with an RBI single to right. Andy Paz followed Willis with an RBI hustle-double down the first base line, trimming the Goldeyes lead to 3-2.
Steele (1-1) earned his first win of the season with a scoreless inning of relief while Adam Quintana struck out a season-high-tying seven batters in three shutout innings out of the bullpen. Jeff McKenzie recorded his second quality start after allowing three runs on eight hits, no walks and four strikeouts over six innings.
Hartman (0-1) was charged with the loss for the Goldeyes in his eighth relief appearance. The right-hander allowed one run on a hit, a walk and a hit batsman. Capellan blew his first save of the season after allowing an unearned run in the ninth while Kevin McGovern yielded two runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out seven over six innings in a no-decision.
The RailCats resume their 10-day homestand vs. the reigning champion Winnipeg Goldeyes on Tuesday night at 7:10. RHP Daniel Minor (3-0, 4.71) opposes Goldeyes' RHP Shane Dawson (3-0, 3.38) in the middle game of the series.
Tuesday's game is Hammond, East Chicago and Whiting Community Night, presented by Fifth Third Bank, and another CHN Tuesday and Taco Tuesday. Tuesday's taco special features $2 beef tacos and $5 margaritas.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 5, 2018
- RailCats Late Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Defeat to Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Esch Sets Career High with 10 K's, Allen Collects Four Hits, Saints Blank Wingnuts 2-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Drop Pitcher's Duel - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Hit Four Homers to Down Saltdogs 9-4 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Shawon-O-Meter Makes Its Return at Impact Field for 29th Anniversary - Chicago Dogs
- Celebrate Dad with a Special, on the Field, Father's Day Brunch - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Bullpen Carries X's to Victory - Sioux City Explorers
- RailCats Sneak Past Goldeyes in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Drop Opener to X's - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Rally, Walk-Off in 10th on Gimenez's Single - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pitching and Homers Carry Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener