Railroaders Drop Opener to X's
CLEBURNE, Texas - Patrick Palmeiro hit his third homer of the year, but Cleburne left 11 runners on in a 5-2 loss to the Sioux City Explorers in the series opener at The Depot on Monday night.
Palmeiro's team-leading home run cut the deficit to one in the 3rd inning, but the Explorers added a pair of runs - one unearned - in the fifth and held on for their third win in four games against the Railroaders.
Cleburne (8-9) walked a season-best eight times against four Sioux City (14-4) pitchers, and Patrick Mincey gave up five runs on a season-high 11 hits with one walk and one strikeout over seven innings of work.
The Railroaders took the lead on Palmeiro's sacrifice fly in the 1st inning, and Sioux City scored three runs on three hits in the 2nd.
Josh Hodges, pitching for the second time in as many nights, went two scoreless innings and gave up a pair of hits with two strikeouts.
Alex Polston went 2-for-4 with a double, and both Cam Monger and Trevor Sealey walked twice. Jordan Dean reached two times and K.C. Huth went 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
Sioux City's Jay Baum went 3-for-4 with two doubles, an RBI and a run scored, while Daniel Jackson went 4-for-4 with four singles out of the nine-hole.
Cleburne's loss snapped a two-game win streak, while Sioux City has won five straight and has the best record in the American Association.
Game 2 of the three-game set is scheduled for Tuesday. First pitch time is 7:06 p.m. and RHP Patrick Young will make his fourth start of the year, while RHP Justin Vernia will throw for the Explorers. Pregame coverage starts on TuneIn Radio at 6:40.
Tuesday is also Two-For-Tuesday. Get two tickets, two hot dogs, two fountain drinks and a gameday guide, all for just $22. Tickets can be purchased online at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling the ticket office at (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 5, 2018
- RailCats Late Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Defeat to Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Esch Sets Career High with 10 K's, Allen Collects Four Hits, Saints Blank Wingnuts 2-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Drop Pitcher's Duel - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Hit Four Homers to Down Saltdogs 9-4 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Shawon-O-Meter Makes Its Return at Impact Field for 29th Anniversary - Chicago Dogs
- Celebrate Dad with a Special, on the Field, Father's Day Brunch - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Bullpen Carries X's to Victory - Sioux City Explorers
- RailCats Sneak Past Goldeyes in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Drop Opener to X's - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Rally, Walk-Off in 10th on Gimenez's Single - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pitching and Homers Carry Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.