Pitching and Homers Carry Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs blasted two home runs and Mike Tamburino notched a quality start as the Saltdogs beat the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 4-1 on Monday night.
Lincoln's (11-7) third straight win opens a six-game homestand the right way. Tamburino earned the win after surrendering just one run over 6.2 innings pitched. Jose Jose retired all four batters he faced and J.R. Bunda notched his third save with a scoreless ninth inning.
The Saltdogs got the offense going in the first inning. Christian Ibarra led off with a single and Brant Whiting followed with a walk. Curt Smith kept pace with another base hit to load the bases. Angel Reyes knocked across a run with a line drive single to make it 1-0.
Fargo-Moorhead (8-8) pulled even in the top of the third inning. Tim Colwell started the frame with a base hit and moved to second on a groundout. Devan Ahart sent him home with a single to tie the game.
That was all the offense the RedHawks mustered, though. After Ahart's RBI, Saltdogs pitchers combined to throw 6.1 hitless innings until Tommy Mendonca singled with two outs in the ninth.
Lincoln reclaimed the lead in the bottom of the third. Whiting singled and Smith homered to make it 3-1. Smith has homered in the last two games.
Angel Reyes supplied the offense again in the sixth. The utility man bombed a solo home run to left-center to make it a three-run game. Reyes leads the league with seven homers.
The Saltdogs set a season-low in runs allowed and moved to a season-best four games over .500. Lincoln's defense has compiled seven straight error-free games.
Game two of the series is set for 6:45 PM on Tuesday. Tyler Herron starts for the Saltdogs and coverage begins at 6:15 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 5, 2018
- RailCats Late Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Defeat to Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Esch Sets Career High with 10 K's, Allen Collects Four Hits, Saints Blank Wingnuts 2-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Drop Pitcher's Duel - Wichita Wingnuts
- RedHawks Hit Four Homers to Down Saltdogs 9-4 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Shawon-O-Meter Makes Its Return at Impact Field for 29th Anniversary - Chicago Dogs
- Celebrate Dad with a Special, on the Field, Father's Day Brunch - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Bullpen Carries X's to Victory - Sioux City Explorers
- RailCats Sneak Past Goldeyes in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Drop Opener to X's - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Rally, Walk-Off in 10th on Gimenez's Single - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pitching and Homers Carry Saltdogs to Series-Opening Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.