RailCats Edge out Win over RedHawks in Series Opener
FARGO - Two runs in the top of the seventh inning and a shut-down performance from the Gary SouthShore bullpen gave Fargo-Moorhead to a 3-2 loss in front of 4,462 fans Thursday night at Newman Outdoor Field.
The RailCats opened the scoring on an RBI double from Colin Willis in the top of the first inning. An RBI single by Charlie Valerio in the third inning scored Maikol Gonzalez to tie the game at a run apiece, and the game would stay tied for three innings.
The RedHawks answered back with a brief 2-1 lead courtesy of a double steal in the sixth inning. Leo Pina stole second and Randolph Oduber stole home to give the RedHawks a one-run lead that lasted a half inning before the RailCats scored runs on back-to-back at bats by Alex Crosby and Reggie Wilson.
Trey McNutt pitched 5.1 innings in his fourth start of the year. McNutt gave up one hit on two runs while striking out four and walking five - and did not factor into the decision.
Jeremy Holcombe got the win for the RailCats after coming on to pitch in the sixth inning. He gave up one run on two hits with a strikeout for his first win of the season.
Andrew Woeck got the loss for the RedHawks after he came on in relief of McNutt. Woeck gave up two runs in the seventh inning to move to 0-1 on the year.
The RedHawks will look to even up the series with Gary SouthShore tomorrow night at Newman Outdoor Field. First pitch for Game 2 is scheduled for 7:02 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 8, 2018
- Cleburne Falls Short in Back-And-Forth Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- Birds Fall Short in Pitchers' Duel, Lose Game One to Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Drop Opener in Sioux City - Texas AirHogs
- Nine-Run Ninth Sends Wingnuts to Defeat - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Two-Hit Canaries, Win Fourth Straight 2-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Rosario Stymies Dogs in Series Opener - Chicago Dogs
- McKenzie's Stellar Eight Innings Leads Gary to 2-1 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Sign Former Padres Farmhand Carkuff - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Sign Former Huskers Pitcher Jake Hohensee - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Back to the Well, Saints Sign St. Thomas Outfielder Jake Smith - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Sign Former First-Rounder Chevy Clarke - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Head to Winnipeg on First Win Streak - Chicago Dogs
- Rafael Palmeiro in Lincoln with Railroaders - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Edge out Win over RedHawks in Series Opener - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- RailCats Open Season-Long Road Trip with 3-2 Victory RedHawks - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- Lead-Off Homer in the Ninth Inning Runs Doom RedHawks
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for the RedHawks against Wingnuts
- Brown's Strong Start Leads RedHawks to Win over Wingnuts
- Early Inning Dominance Powers RedHawks to Series Win
- RedHawks Squeak out a Win; Tie Series with Kansas City